Today's News

  • Runaway bride
  • Robbers struggle in Roswell

    Las Vegas’ Train Robbers had better luck tracking UFOs than scoring runs Monday night in Roswell, falling 16-0.

    Chris Dunn and the Invaders held Vegas (15-36) to four hits.

    Dunn, who earned the pitching win, struck out eight through six innings and allowed three hits and two walks in that span.

    Ryan Retz hit a home run and went 2 for 3 with four runs batted in for Roswell, which improved to 31-23, second in the Southern Division. Leadoff hitter Jeff Eubank and Shane Klemke also notched four RBI apiece.

  • Messi, Robben lead offenses

    By Mike Corder
    AP Sports Writer
    RIO DE JANEIRO — The World Cup’s best dribblers — Lionel Messi and Arjen Robben — face off when Argentina and Netherlands meet in the semifinals.
    In Brazil, Robben has been quick, Messi has been quicksilver.
    On Wednesday in Sao Paulo, either one could turn the semifinal with a dazzling turn of pace or a weaving run to propel his team to the final.
    “We have to cut the supply line to Messi,” Dutch defender Bruno Martins Indi told Dutch website Nu.nl.

  • Looking ahead - Sports - July 9, 2014

    • Albuquerque Isotopes vs. El Paso Chihuahuas, 7:05 p.m., Isotopes Park
    • Las Vegas Adult League women’s games: Lady Jags vs. Lady Hackers, 5:45 p.m.; Ice Cold Pitches vs. Compounders, 7 p.m., Rodriguez Complex

    • Albuquerque Isotopes vs. El Paso Chihuahuas, 7:05 p.m., Isotopes Park
    • Las Vegas Adult League men’s games: Bulldogs vs. Balls Deep, 5:45 p.m.; Yo Momma vs. Warriors, 7 p.m., Rodriguez Complex

  • Mayor’s travel tops $12K

    It was a Thursday morning in June and the New Mexico Finance Authority was convening at 9 a.m. in Santa Fe to take up a number of items, including two key ones for Las Vegas.

    The authority had already signed off on $4 million in financing for the city’s Bradner Reservoir project. The question for board members on this morning was what terms should be offered on that money. The original proposal was to make 60 percent of that funding a grant and the remaining 40 percent a low-interest loan. The city was pushing for better terms.

  • Que Vivan Las Fiestas
  • Plane crashes at Las Vegas airport

    Las Vegas police have identified the people whose plane crashed at the Las Vegas Municipal Airport Wednesday evening as a family from Minnesota.

    “The plane was landing and something went amiss,” Las Vegas Police Chief Christian Montaño said.

  • High court agrees your privacy matters

    By Mark Sherman
    The Associated Press
    WASHINGTON — Supreme Court justices found more common ground than usual this year, and nowhere was their unanimity more surprising than in a ruling that police must get a judge’s approval before searching the cellphones of people they’ve arrested.
    The term that ended last week also had its share of 5-4 decisions with the familiar conservative-liberal split, including last Monday’s ruling on religion, birth control and the health care law.

  • Looking Back - July 7, 2014

    In 1964
    Tuesday, July 7 — In a statement issued today, Fidel C. Gonzales and Donald A. Martinez flatly denied that they had any interest in either the school system or the municipality of the City of Las Vegas. This statement was made in answer to innuendos contained in an article by syndicated columnist Will Harrison. Harrison had stated that Gonzales and Martinez had extensive control in San Miguel County and that all that was left for them to “conquer” was the East Las Vegas City Hall and school system.

  • Looking ahead - News - July 7, 2014

    Science Camp is for local community kids, in grades sixth through eighth, Wednesday, July 9 to Thursday, July 10. Hosted by Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at the Rio Mora National Wildlife Refuge near Watrous. Camp participants will leave Las Vegas at 8 a.m. on July 9 and will return to Las Vegas at 5 p.m. on July 10. Limited number of spots available. For more information, contact Lorraine Garcia at 505-917-2141 or by emailing lgarcia@hermitspeakwatersheds.org.