Las Vegas man arrested for felony child abuse

-A A +A
By Ryan Lowery

Las Vegas police arrested a man on battery and felony child abuse charges following an altercation in the 500 block of South Grand Avenue.

Jonadam Dimas, 25, was booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center July 28 on multiple charges, including abuse against a child, battery against a household member and false imprisonment.

According to a statement of probable cause filed in San Miguel Magistrate Court, Las Vegas police responded to Dimas’ home after receiving calls about a woman yelling. When LVPD arrived, a woman who identified herself as Dimas’ girlfriend told police Dimas had tackled her while she was holding her 6-month-old daughter, causing the child’s head to hit the concrete outside their residence.

According to the court filing, an officer inspected the child and did not find any visible injuries, and paramedics were called to check on the child.

The woman told police she and Dimas had been quarrelling when Dimas grabbed her. The two ended up on the ground, and Dimas began choking her with his arm. Dimas then dragged her into another room. She yelled for him to let go of her, and when she attempted to leave the residence, Dimas wouldn’t allow her to go. She then reached for her cellphone to call police, but Dimas grabbed the phone and threw it to the ground, breaking it.

When the child began to cry, Dimas returned to the living room. The woman picked up the child and attempted to leave the residence once again. She told police that as she exited the residence, Dimas tackled her, with the child still in her arms, causing the child’s head to strike the concrete. Dimas took the child back inside and the woman ran to a neighbor’s home to call police.

While interviewing the woman, a police officer noticed marks on her back, elbows, knees, and ankle. Dimas told police the woman received the injuries when she tripped outside. Dimas said he attempted to catch her and he cut his elbow in the process, though the officer couldn’t find any cuts on the man’s elbows. Dimas then admitted to breaking the cellphone by throwing it to the ground, and the officer arrested Dimas.

Dimas was released from the San Miguel County Detention Center the following day on an unsecured bond. A judge issued a no-contact order later that day, preventing Dimas from contacting the woman or her child in any manner.

Dimas’ next Magistrate Court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 13.