Submitted to the Optic
People have existed on a short stretch of the banks of the Gallinas River since time immemorial, as archaeological studies reveal. Recorded history is documented by members of succeeding nations; Spanish, Mexican, United States of America. Beginning in 1821, with Independence from Spain, Mexican authority eventually established a community land grant in 1835. This northern Mexican, Spanish-speaking community, flourished as a commercial outpost located west of the River.