Today's Opinions

  • Letters to the Editor - Jan. 9, 2015

    Laws on unions should be changed
    Ever since I was made to leave a job because I was not a member of a Bricklayer–Laborer Union, I have been against unions. I was 14, working for my father as a laborer, and couldn’t believe someone could tell me I couldn’t work because I wasn’t part of their club.
    It’s even harder to believe that money can be taken from people’s paychecks without their permission and given to unions in New Mexico.

  • Another Perspective - Why health insurance is important

    By Chris Wolf

  • Editorial Roundup - Jan. 9, 2015

    Compiled by The Associated Press

    Los Angeles Times on college ratings system (Jan. 2):

  • Stay warm and safe

    If you saw the front page of today’s newspaper you likely read the tragic story about the man who appears to have died of hypothermia on New Year’s Day and the other story about yet another house fire, this one caused by a space heater in a bedroom.

    Those tragedies are a good reminder of the dangers that arise when temperatures plunge below freezing.

  • Editorial cartoon - Jan. 7, 2015
  • Work of Art: Eating umble pie

    This being my first column of the year 2015, I wish to return to my main preoccupation. Actually, the preoccupation properly expressed would be Katherine Zeta Jones. But for now I’ll settle for a less exciting passion: words.

    I was surprised to discover that “vape” has become a word to describe inhaling those electronic cigarettes — or e-cigs — that I’ve never even seen, except in magazine ads.

  • Don’t weaken records law

    When the Legislature convenes for a new session in a few short weeks, New Mexico Highlands University and the state’s other universities will likely be lobbying lawmakers to pass a new exemption to the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act.

    Under current state law, applications submitted for public jobs are public records, meaning that if you want to know who applied for the superintendent’s job in your school district, you need only submit a request in writing to the school district and the district is required to show you the applications.

  • Editorial cartoon - Jan. 5, 2015