Today's News

  • Looking ahead - Sports - Feb. 27, 2015

    • District tournaments, TBA; West Las Vegas boys host championship, 7 p.m., Gillie Lopez Gym
    • District JV boys’ championship game: West Las Vegas vs. Pojoaque, 5 p.m., Gillie Lopez Gym
    • West Las Vegas Middle School boys at Pojoaque tournament, TBA, Pojoaque
    Track and field
    • NMHU women at RMAC indoor championships, TBA, Gunnison, Colo.
    • NCAA Western Regional/RMAC championships, TBA, Pueblo, Colo.


  • Preemption bills worry officials

    Optic Staff and Wire Reports

    Officials in both San Miguel and Mora counties are concerned about a bill making its way through the House that would significantly limit the amount of authority New Mexico counties have in regulating oil and gas drilling within their jurisdictions.

    San Miguel County Commissioner Nicolas Leger said that if the bill ends up getting enacted into law, it would likely invalidate large portions of the San Miguel County drilling ordinance enacted late last year after about three years of hearings.

  • Cookie Mania - Girl, 8, sets sweet sales goal

    Denika Montoya is on a cookie-selling mission. The second grade student at North Star Elementary has set a goal to sell 2,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies this year. For several years, the famous cookies were hard to come by in Las Vegas, as a local troop appeared non-existent.

    For Montoya, the biggest sales are the chocolate, caramel and coconut cookie, Samoas, and the ever-so-popular Thin Mints.

    “She has been very busy,” said Denika’s mother, Olivia Gonzales, “It is an every-day thing for us.”

  • Mora seeks new manager

    Roughly 19 months after coming on board as Mora County manager, Rebecca Montoya is moving on.

    Montoya, who has been on leave since Feb. 1, is officially giving her 30-day notice on March 1 that she will be leaving the county manager post.

    Mora County has already started advertising for Montoya’s replacement. Anyone interested in the job must submit an application, resume and three letters of recommendation to the county by this Friday.

  • Highway funding gap will top $450M

    By Susan Montoya Bryan
    The Associated Press

    New Mexico for the first time has a true inventory of the tens of thousands of miles of pavement that crisscross the state, and it shows some roads are in worse condition than previously thought.

    Tom Church, the head of the state’s transportation department, outlined the findings of a recent state-of-the-art road assessment during a legislative committee meeting this week. More than 5,800 miles need anywhere from minor rehabilitation to reconstruction.

  • Looking Back - Feb. 25, 2015

    In 1965
    Wednesday, Feb. 24 — A number of area youths received trophies after their participation in the Golden Gloves Tournament in Clovis recently. The group was trained by Fernando Gallegos and sponsored by the Clovis JCs. Their manager is Frank C de Baca. They are Herbert Lucero, 118 pounds; Ray Collins, 126 pounds;  Gilbert Herrera, 134 pounds; Jim Montoya, 112 pounds; Nelson Lopez, 112 pounds and Reyes Maes, 112 pounds.

  • Looking ahead - News - Feb. 25, 2015

    Today is Kiwanis Club Pancake Day
    Kiwanis Club of Las Vegas Annual Pancake Day, breakfast from 7 to 9 a.m., lunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and dinner from 4:30 to 7 p.m. today, Feb. 25 at the Flamingo Room. Adults are $8 each and children 10 and younger eat for $5. All you can eat pancakes, sausage, coffee, tea or milk.

  • Weather - Feb. 25, 2015

    Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. West wind around 10 mph. Snow likely at night. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. North wind around 10 mph, becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent.

    A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. South wind 10-15 mph. Snow showers likely at night. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.

    A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

  • Queen of courts
  • Noticias - Feb. 25, 2015

    Submit your calendar items and notices to mlopez@lasvegasoptic.com.
    • Ambercare is looking for exceptional people for volunteers, who are 18 years of age or older, with a tremendous capacity for caring to offer their services as a hospice volunteer. Hospice volunteers may read to a patient, take a walk, hold a hand when needed, play games or simply listen and provide companionship. If you would like to volunteer, contact local Ambercare Volunteer Coordinator, Diane Ortiz at 426-5898.