.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • The new EDC boss

    Roberto Rios, the new executive director of the Las Vegas-San Miguel Economic Development Corp., expects the group to take strong stands under his management.

    But he said the EDC would study issues closely before making any decisions.

    Rios took his new job June 1. Just two days later, he witnessed one of the bigger controversies that pit one part of the business community against another.

    At issue was a proposed film moratorium, which would have stopped all movie productions in Las Vegas until the city revised its regulations to better deal with them.

  • Kryptonite take 3 of 5

    The Las Vegas Kryptonite played five games over the last week, pushing their record to 16-7.

    Las Vegas opened with two games against the Española Devils and the Española Trojans.

    In game one, Las Vegas earned a 6-4 victory against the Devils. Dominic Yara, who pitched his first game of the season, earned a complete-game victory, allowing four runs on six hits and striking out eight batters. Leading hitters for Las Vegas were Joel Silva, 2 for 2; T.J. Esquibel, 1 for 1; eight other Kryptonite players had at least one hit.

  • Ex-West leader pleads no contest

    Former West Las Vegas Superintendent Joe Baca pleaded no contest on Wednesday to a charge of fraud in connection with the bilingual program.

    Baca, 56, of Las Vegas entered the plea as part of an agreement with the attorney general’s office in Santa Fe District Court. He was convicted on a count of fraud of $250 or less.

    As part of the deal, Baca, who resigned in 2007, has agreed to pay the state $2,750 in restitution.

  • Fiesta run set for Friday morning

    The annual Fiestas de Las Vegas are a time for funnel cakes, turkey legs, cotton candy and green chile cheeseburgers — and a whole lot of calories that accompany such culinary delights.

    But thanks to the traditional Las Vegas Fiesta Memorial Run, the city’s biggest party also features one of its premier fitness events.

    This year, the run takes place Friday morning, serving to help kick off the fiesta weekend and — with a nod to the less healthful temptations available — get things off on the right foot, so to speak.

  • Claims allege cop misconduct

    Four tort claims notices have been filed against the city of Las Vegas in the past two weeks — all involving alleged police misconduct.

    The damages sought are more than $2.6 million.

    Tort claim notices are documents that must be filed within 90 days of injury in the state of New Mexico if one intends to sue the state, county or city governments.

  • K-aos softball in state tourney

    A new 16-and-under softball team, the K-aos is battling in a double-elimination state tournament this weekend in Albuquerque and representing much of northern New Mexico.

    The team — managed by Steve Montoya and Coached by Dominique Montoya, Anthony Lovato and Pete Garcia — includes girls from Pojoaque, Española and Las Vegas who were in need of a program to continue playing through the summer.

  • Official: Railroad safety is on track

    It has been six months since a car-train collision at the Arriba Road railroad crossing north of Las Vegas claimed the life of Las Vegan Michael Esquibel. It was the second fatality at the site in less than a year.

    Four months earlier, Fred Stark, a Denver man in town for his daughter’s wedding, was also hit and killed by a train at the same crossing.

    In February, New Mexico Public Regulation Commission member Jerome Block said he was “taking the bull by the horns” and was taking initial steps to get safety equipment installed at the site.

  • EDITORIAL: Impetus to move ahead

    At the behest of a small group of concerned citizens (including the publisher of this newspaper), a Highlands University class took on a divisive local issue, conducted a survey, and produced evidence that, well, maybe the issue isn’t as divisive as one might think.

    In doing so, the professor and her class may just have given Las Vegas what it needs to honestly confront the issue.

  • LETTER: In son's name, a call to action

    It has been nearly six months since Jan. 15, since our son Mikey has been gone. His dreams were shattered when his young life came to an abrupt end and our hearts were broken, but today we remember how strong our faith in God is and in his promises to us, and we know that Michael is in Heaven and that he is watching over all of us, his friends and relatives, and his fellow residents of Las Vegas, for he was a “Vegas boy.”

  • Reservoir leaks seen as problem

    A city councilman said the leakages from the city’s Peterson reservoir are significant and that fixing such problems could help improve the city’s water situation.

    Councilman Andrew Feldman, who focuses on water issues, said that up to a quarter of the water taken off the Gallinas River is lost to leakage at Peterson reservoir. Additionally, silting in the Peterson and Bradner reservoirs has reduced the holding capacity of the reservoirs by 30 percent, he said. As such, both need to be dredged, he said.