.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • City reverses decision on development

    The Las Vegas City Council last week approved a west-side subdivision, reversing a decision from a year ago.

    The council did so on the advice of its attorney, who reported that District Court had sided with the developer, who had filed a lawsuit over last year’s rejection.

    In a public hearing in November 2009, some residents said they opposed the proposed four-lot subdivision of modular homes in the 2300 block of New Mexico Avenue because it would consist of low-income homes that would attract a “criminal element.”

  • Retired teacher runs for East board

    A retired educator plans to run for the Las Vegas City Schools board. Filing day for candidates is Tuesday.

    Gloria M. Lovato Pacheco, 52, a native of Watrous and a resident of Las Vegas for 36 years, is a retired Robertson High School special needs teacher and transition specialist.

    “I think the primary task and focus of a board member is to assist the greater community in taking ownership of its school system,” she said in a statement.

  • West superintendent: Don’t close any elementary schools

    West Las Vegas residents have made one thing clear: Don’t close any schools.

    That’s what West Las Vegas Superintendent Ruben Cordova recently reported to the school board.

    He said public hearings have been held as part of the district’s effort to draft a new master plan.

  • All-district teams named for fall

    Fourteen high school football players and seven prep volleyball players from Las Vegas led the list of honorees on the All-District 2-3A teams for fall 2010.

    The list was released to the Optic this past week by West Las Vegas High athletic director Jose “Majic” Medina.

  • Good ideas for Fiestas

    Now that the city is running the show, it is coming up with some good ideas on how to make Fiestas de Las Vegas an even better event.

    Its best one is to develop ways to bring more children to the annual July event. As it stands, the main attraction at Fiestas is the entertainment in the Plaza gazebo. And that should remain the case.

    But as for kids’ activities, there are very few, other than a jumping castle and a few games. City officials are thinking of bringing other things to attract children such as a climbing wall and a mini-carnival.

  • As It Is: Montaño took tough questions

    Ramon “Swoops” Montaño left recently as president of the Las Vegas City Schools board. He was never one to shy away from controversy or avoid people’s calls.

    We should know. The school district has had its share of controversies over the years, yet Montaño has always been accessible to our newspaper. He has spoken with us when it would have been a lot easier for him to get into his bunker.

    Patrick Romero is the other member of the board who has been equally accessible. Phillip Vigil has been available to a lesser extent.

  • Que Pasa-Dec. 20, 2010

    TUESDAY MARTES
    • Winter Solstice natural energy and seasonal observance, 6:45 a.m. Eight Treasures, 8 a.m. ceremony and sitting meditation, followed by a potluck, Tuesday, Dec. 21. For directions and more information, call Peter or Jody Stege at 454-0003 or 454-1386. It is sponsored by the Southwest Integral Friends.

  • County delays wind decision

    By David Giuliani and Don Pace
    Las Vegas Optic

    The San Miguel County Commission put off a decision on a proposed law for wind farms Tuesday, after hearing public comment for much of the day.

    It will reconvene Monday.

    More than 100 people showed up in the commission’s chambers for the early-afternoon meeting on the county’s proposed wind ordinance. That was way more than the capacity of 67, so the county moved the meeting to the much larger Ilfeld Auditorium.

  • City seeks to get more kids at Fiestas

    The city of Las Vegas, which is organizing next year’s Fiestas de Las Vegas, wants to involve local merchants and attract more children to the annual event.

    Last month, the city took over the July event from the Fiesta Council, a nonprofit group that endured a number of high-profile controversies over the last few months.

    In recent times, the Fiesta Council hadn’t put out a public call for volunteers. Indeed, its president, Mathew Martinez, terminated six of the group’s 18 members in July, saying they were conspiring against him.

  • State police captain retiring

    The captain in charge of the state police stations in Las Vegas and Raton is retiring.

    Capt. Toby Dolan, who joined the state police in 1989, will officially retire on Dec. 31, but he has been taking vacation and sick leave since the beginning of the month.

    “It’s time for me to do something different and let someone else have the reins,” he said.

    Dolan said he had been “hit and miss” the last year and a half while he has suffered from a shoulder problem and he has cared for his father, Mike Dolan, who died in October.