.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Friday night football: Dons spoil Spartan homecoming

    West Las Vegas' Balizan brothers hooked up for a pair of touchdowns, and Antonio Bustamante pushed his season total to 20 as the Dons beat Bernalillo 42-7 Friday for the Spartan homecoming game.

    Estevan Gonzales returned an interception for a score, and a 2-point conversion gave the Dons an early 8-0 lead.

    West sophomore quarterback John Balizan passed to senior wideout David Balizan for a 5-yard touchdown, and the Dons led 15-0 on Isaiah Deane's extra point.

  • To win a contest

    Photos by Theresa Wesner

    Music and much more were on hand last week when MainStreet de Las Vegas held an open house to promote its attempts to win as much as $150,000 in grant money in a national contest.

    Anyone can vote for Las Vegas in the contest at voteyourmainstreet.org. until Oct. 31. The top 10 finishers in the 25-city contest will divy up $2 million in grant money.

  • Schools: West has buyer for Maloof building

    By Gwen Albers, Special to the Optic

    Thursday, the West Las Vegas School Board gave Superintendent Chris Gutierrez permission to continue with efforts to sell a building in historic Las Vegas for its appraised value of $26,000.

    Las Vegas businessman and developer Carlos Lopez approached the school district about buying the Maloof Building, located immediately west of the Gallinas River bridge at 105 Bridge St., said associate superintendent Darice Balizan.

  • Council approves items for consent agenda

    By Jason W. Brooks, Las Vegas Optic Editor

    A number of blue-collar items were addressed by the Las Vegas City Council during Wednesday’s City of Las Vegas work session.

    A list of expenditure items was discussed in terms of placing items on the consent agenda for an upcoming council meeting for formal approval. All but three of the items were approved to be placed on a consent agenda, as is.

  • Three separate murder trials all postponed

    By Jason W. Brooks, Las Vegas Optic Editor

    Three separate San Miguel County murder defendants are not going to trial as quickly as they were initially scheduled, according to Fourth Judicial District Attorney Richard D. Flores.

    Ruth Rivera of Ribera, Daniel Sullivan of Las Vegas and Richard J. Griego of Villanueva all had trials scheduled to happen in the near future, but all three have been pushed back on court dockets, with all three possibly going well into 2018 before being resolved.

  • Missing person

    According to his family and friends, Johnny Garcia went missing on or about Friday, Oct. 6. He was last seen on foot in the Sapello area, wearing blue jeans and a black leather jacket.

    Anyone who has information about Garcia’s whereabouts can contact the New Mexico State Police at 505-425,6771, the Las Vegas Police Department at 505-425-7504 or Charlie’s brother, Fernando Garcia, at 505-718-9676.

  • New Mexico In Brief, Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017

    The Associated Press

    Hobbs officers sue over targeting claim

    HOBBS — The Hobbs Police Department department forced officers to target people of color in minority neighborhoods to make quotas, retaliated against those who complained and subjected black officers to humiliating episodes of discrimination, according to a lawsuit by three former police officers.

  • The Nation In Brief, Oct. 15, 2017

    The Associated Press

    Haley: UN move was foolish

    The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations says the “extreme politicization” of UNESCO — the U.N.’s cultural, education and scientific agency — has become “a chronic embarrassment.”

  • Jail Log - Oct. 15, 2017 Optic

    The following individuals were booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center between Oct. 7 and Oct. 12.

    Zayan Hernandez, 18, hold for court, San Miguel District Court.

    Brian Poisson, 39, failure to appear, San Miguel Magistrate Court.

    Kevin Gutierrez, 29, probation violation, failure to report, Adult Probation.

    Greg Hebel, 46, aggravated DWI, open container, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, San Miguel Magistrate Court.

  • State Supreme Court: No relief for public defenders

    By Morgan Lee, The Associated Press

    SANTA FE — The New Mexico Supreme Court won’t intervene on behalf of public defenders who say they are overwhelmed by cases from poor defendants facing jail time, court officials said this week.

    A state agency overseeing public defenders has insisted that its attorneys in various parts of the state are wrongfully being forced to take on more cases than they can handle without neglecting indigent defendants who cannot otherwise afford an attorney.