.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Another charged in crime

    Authorities are charging a man who allegedly knew that a woman had been murdered but waited more than a day to tell the police.

    A magistrate judge has signed off on a warrant for Bob Martinez of Las Vegas. Martinez faces charges of tampering with evidence and conspiracy to tamper with evidence.

    On Sunday, state police arrested Natividad “Steve” Roybal on charges of an open count of murder, tampering with evidence and resisting officers. The alleged victim was Terrie Greer.

  • Residents complain about police

    About 50 people came together Sunday to discuss the issue of alleged police misconduct in Las Vegas and to organize a citizens committee to deal with the issue.

    Former interim Police Chief William Cruz and San Miguel County Treasurer Alfonso Ortiz were among those present.

    Pat Leahan, Lorenzo Flores and Steve Flores, the organizers of the event, spoke briefly of the need for an independent citizens committee. The city is also considering a police oversight commission to handle complaints against officers.

  • Taos DA to get adults’ cases

    The cases involving the adults in the Robertson High School football assaults case will be transferred to the Taos district attorney’s office, an official announced Tuesday.

    District Attorney Richard Flores said he had spoken with the Taos district attorney’s office and it had agreed to take the cases. It is expected that the Taos DA’s office will transfer the cases to its branch office in Raton, to be handled by prosecutor Leslie Fernandez, Flores said.

  • Vegas man charged with burglary

    A Las Vegas man is accused of breaking into a truck at a local motel last week.

    Vicente Cervantes, 45, 409 Peggy Lee Lane, was charged with auto burglary and larceny.

    According to Magistrate Court documents, Sgt. Martin Salazar went to Super 8 Motel last Wednesday in response to reported auto burglaries. He reviewed a surveillance video and identified two women pictured.

    He spoke to some unidentified people who described the car the two women left in, police said.

  • Las Vegas police aim for full staffing

    The Las Vegas Police Department is on track to becoming fully staffed, the chief says.

    Last week, Mayor Tony Marquez swore in four new officers to the department — Martin Sandoval, Timothy Leyva, Michael Hurtado and Samuel Hanna.

    They are expected to go to the state’s law enforcement academy in the fall.

    Later this month, Chief Gary Gold plans to put forward four more names to the City Council for approval as officers. He said he has five “solid” applicants, so it’ll be tough deciding which one to reject.

  • DA excuses himself from adults' cases

    District Attorney Richard Flores has excused himself from prosecuting the adults who he alleges failed to promptly notify authorities about attacks during a Robertson High School football camp last year.

    His decision was in response to arguments by defense attorneys that he appeared to have conflicts of interest.

    Superintendent Richard Romero, Athletic Director Mike Yara, former football coach Ray Woods and two former assistant coaches, Adam Alvarez and Ikaika Neizman, each face a misdemeanor charge of failure to report child abuse or neglect.

  • Man accused of molestation

    A 45-year-old Las Vegas man has been charged with sexual crimes against a small girl.

    A child told authorities that the man started molesting her when she was 8, according to a city police report.

    The man faces two counts of criminal sexual penetration. He was charged last Monday.

  • Good reviews

    A movie project tied up Bridge Street for four days last week, but the crews are getting good reviews for their treatment of merchants.

    Tito Chavez, owner of Tito’s Gallery, said he believed it was the first time that everyone on the street received at least some compensation from a movie company for the street being shut down at times.

    “They talked to us and listened. They talked to those who were positive about it and negative about it. They won over negative people,” said Chavez, co-chairman of Las Vegas’ new Independent Business Alliance.

  • ONLINE STORY UPDATE: Man killed woman with rock, police say; victim identified

    A Las Vegas man is accused of killing a woman with a rock and then disposing of her body in a nearby ravine, state police said.

    Steve Roybal, 49, was arrested Sunday on charges of an open count of murder, tampering with evidence and resisting officers. The alleged victim is Terrie Greer.

    According to court documents filed in Magistrate Court, an anonymous caller told state police dispatchers that she had heard Roybal had killed Greer by hitting her on the head with a rock.

  • Sandoval selected new chief judge

    After seven months on the bench, District Judge Matt Sandoval is being promoted to chief judge.

    Last week, the three judges for the Fourth Judicial District, which consists of San Miguel, Mora and Guadalupe counties, elected Sandoval as their new chief.

    Judge Eugenio Mathis, who has held the top post since late 2005, said he decided to step down because his wife, Michelle Pino, works for the court. The state Supreme Court didn’t agree with such an arrangement, the judge said.