By Michael Tarm and Amy Forliti
The Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS — Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller that is up to 50 times more potent than heroin, autopsy results released Thursday show.
The findings confirm suspicions that opioids played a role in the death of the superstar musician, who was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.
After he died, authorities began reviewing whether an overdose was to blame and whether he had been prescribed drugs in the preceding weeks.