.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Council raises sales tax

    The Las Vegas City Council has passed a new sales tax that will amount to 25 cents for every $100 in purchases.

    The city expects the tax to bring in hundreds of thousands every year. For the first five months of the year, it is projected to get the city $300,000. It will take effect Jan. 1.

    The City Council voted 3-2 for the tax, with Mayor Alfonso Ortiz and council members Diane Moore and Andrew Feldman in favor and David Romero and Tonita Gurule-Giron against.

  • County delays warden’s pact

    The County Commission recently delayed consideration of a proposed new three-year contract with Patrick Snedeker, the jail warden.

    Under the proposed agreement, he would get $70,875 a year, which is what he has been making, county officials said.

    Commission Chairman David Salazar made the motion to table the contract. The commission unanimously voted to do so.

    No reasons were given for the decision.

    In other County Commission business:

  • Fiesta members ousted

    The Las Vegas Fiesta Council has ousted six of its members — some of whom have spent many years helping organize the annual event.

    On June 30, Fiesta President Mathew Martinez sent certified letters to the six volunteers, informing them that they were “terminated effective immediately.”

    Most of the six apparently didn’t get the letters until after the Fourth of July weekend, when the fiesta is held. The six make up a third of the council’s membership.

  • Report: Head Start turns around

    In a big turnaround, the West Las Vegas Head Start program is now fully compliant with regulations, a federal agency has determined.

    This will mean that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will end its heightened oversight of the program, said Joseph Griego, the local Head Start director. The oversight was the result of problems the agency found in the local program years ago.

    The program provides early education to low-income children from throughout the area, including the east side.

  • Couple suspected of attacking teen

    A couple has been accused of attacking their daughter’s former best friend, state police said.

    Brenda Parks, 41, of Sapello, was charged with aggravated battery, a third-degree felony.

    Her husband, Raymond Parks, 43, also of Sapello, will face a misdemeanor charge of battery, according to a criminal complaint filed in Magistrate Court.

    The alleged victim was a 17-year-old girl, who was at a Fourth of July party in the Sapello area where the couple was.

  • City stops accepting septic tanks’ waste

    The city of Las Vegas’ wastewater plant recently stopped accepting the contents of septic tanks. Officials say the plant is unable to handle the waste.

    But they expect it to be able to do so in a few weeks, although the city is quick to point out that there are no guarantees.

    The city has taken such waste from haulers for years from residents all over northeastern New Mexico. Now, the haulers must take it to facilities in Santa Fe and Pojoaque, which will likely increase the costs for owners of septic tanks.

  • County departments didn’t submit written opinions

    San Miguel County collects opinions on proposed developments from various agencies as part of its approval process.

    That’s what it did for the proposed 46-lot Óxido development just north of Las Vegas.

    It received written responses from such state agencies as the state engineer’s office and the state Cultural Affairs Department. But the county got nothing in writing from its own public works and fire departments.

  • Development gets green light

    The San Miguel County Commission last week approved the preliminary plans for what would be the largest new housing development outside of Las Vegas in many years.

    The commission approved the plat for the 46-lot development about a mile north of Las Vegas city limits. It would be on the west side of N.M. Highway 518, south of Pork Chop Hill Road.

    The development would exclude mobile homes and regulate architectural styles. The lots would range from three-fourth of an acre to 10 acres.

  • Police: Man gets 5th DWI

    A Las Vegas man was stopped recently for his fifth DWI, state police said. That was after he allegedly attempted to change seats with a passenger.

    Paul E. Sanchez, 45, 2700 Hot Springs Blvd Space 4, was charged with DWI, driving with a suspended or revoked license, and failure to maintain a lane of traffic.

    According to a criminal complaint filed in Magistrate Court, a state police officer noticed that the driver of a white Chevrolet crossed the centerline several times around 11:30 p.m. June 25.

  • Local cowboys are event’s focus

    Pull on your boots on and head for the historic Plaza Hotel for the Cowboy Shindig on Sunday July 11.

    The event will be at 2 p.m. Entertainment will be by Rod Taylor.

    Mingle with the famous and not-so famous stars of the film. Grab a refreshment and get ready to watch on the big screen a flick featuring local cowboys and cowgirls and the ranches where they work.