.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Problem at Mora poll site alleged

    Janelle Sanchez went to the Mora County clerk’s office on Monday to vote for her father, John Sanchez, the Republican incumbent running for magistrate judge.


    But while she was there to early vote, she said she was encouraged to support Charles Trujillo, her father’s Democratic opponent in the Nov. 2 election.

  • 2 groundbreaking ceremonies, 1 project

    A bunch of officials gathered this week to break ground for the new nursing home at the state hospital. Armed with shovels, some of them gave speeches.


    It was a case of déja vu.


    Three years ago, the officials held a similar ceremony for the same project.


    There was one major difference this time — construction had already begun.

  • Housing project upsets some

    The renovation of public housing in north Las Vegas is upsetting some neighbors, who fear that their property values may drop as a result.
    Last week, a number of residents spoke about their concerns to the City Council, which acts as the housing board.
    The renovation project is at Legion Drive and Cholla Street, east of Seventh Street.
    “We were told the houses would be sold to people. We don’t want our appraisal prices going down. We have put a lot of work into our houses,” Yucca Street resident Tina Vigil said.

  • Small firm takes nursing home’s reins

    Harvey Pelovsky got some good news in his first days as a new co-owner of Vida Encantada Nursing and Rehabilitation.

    He said the state Health Department showed up to do an inspection for a week and found no serious deficiencies, just a few minor issues. He said that it was the first time in his three decades in the nursing home business that he has heard inspectors compliment staff the way they did.

  • Temporary replacement suggested

    Ward 4 City Councilman David Romero continues to improve after a stroke he suffered in August, Mayor Alfonso Ortiz said last week.

    At last week’s City Council meeting, Councilman Andrew Feldman suggested that the council find a temporary replacement while Romero is recovering.

    But Ortiz and City Councilwoman Tonita Gurule-Giron said the city charter wouldn’t allow for a temporary appointment to a council seat.
    Gurule-Giron said the council should demonstrate compassion toward Romero.

  • Mayor wants to move up trick-or-treating

    Because Halloween is falling on a Sunday this year, Mayor Alfonso Ortiz is encouraging a different schedule for trick-or-treating.


    On the request of Old Town merchants, the mayor is declaring Friday afternoon for trick-or-treating along Bridge Street and around Plaza Park.


    And to prevent trick- or-treating on Sunday night, he is urging parents to take their ghosts and goblins for trick-or-treat on Saturday evening instead.

  • Cops may live in public housing

    The city’s housing authority is looking to have police officers live in public housing.


    The officers would get reduced rent in exchange for living there, a program that the federal government allows, officials said.


    Robert Pacheco, the housing authority’s director, said he will present a plan for approval to the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department.

  • Residents call for heads to roll at East

    The Las Vegas City Schools board and superintendent got an earful of public outrage with a small dose of understanding during a meeting packed with eastside property owners affected by a 30 percent tax hike this year.

    From the start, the audience was agitated that public comment was at the end of the agenda. (It is normally at the beginning.) After audience members were heard complaining, board members voted to move public comment to its normal position.

  • Official alleges resident threatened him

    Las Vegas City Schools board President Ramon “Swoops” Montaño said he called police after he was threatened by resident Frank Casey during a recess at last week’s board meeting.


    Casey, a Las Vegas resident, denied the allegations.


    A large crowd who had gathered to express their feelings on a tax increase began to file out of the board’s chambers after a public input session when Casey allegedly approached Montaño using a string of expletives.

  • Suspect rejects plea offer

    Richard Baca, the man accused in an alleged road-rage incident last year, has rejected a plea agreement, a prosecutor said last week.

    Baca, 21, a soldier who had served in Iraq, faces charges of voluntary man-slaughter and shooting from a motor vehicle in connection with the death of Benito Lemos, 22, a postal carrier.

    Prosecutor Tom Clayton told District Judge Eugenio Mathis on Thursday that his office had offered the agreement to Baca and that the defendant rejected it. He said the matter would be headed to trial.