.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • City official charged with DWI

    Las Vegas’ code enforcement supervisor, who is now on leave from the city, is facing a drunken-driving charge, an official said.

    Carl A. Vigil, 53, was charged with driving while intoxicated and driving without his vehicle registration and proof of insurance, according to court records.

    City Manager Timothy Dodge said Vigil was on unpaid leave and has been in that status since Dec. 7.

    Dodge also confirmed that the Carl Vigil listed in court records as having been charged with DWI was the city’s code enforcement supervisor.

  • CYFD worker faces child abuse charges

    An employee of a state agency that looks out for children is accused of child endangerment.

    Justina Romero, 27, 545 Hermosa Lane, was charged last week in connection with a drug investigation. She faces three counts of abandonment or abuse of children.

    She works as an in-home services worker at the local office of the Protective Services Division of the state Children, Youth and Families Department.

  • State puts hold on money

    The state has put a hold on $2.8 million that was to go to the renovation of Tony Serna Elementary School.

    But district officials say it may work to West Las Vegas’ advantage.

    Superintendent Jim Abreu told the school board recently that the Public School Facilities Authority informed him that construction money for Tony Serna had been delayed.

  • West employee may soon be facing charges, deputy says

    The Torrance County Sheriff’s Department plans to file charges against a West Las Vegas school district employee who allegedly totaled a district vehicle while driving drunk.

    The employee, John J. Roybal, 41, a mechanic for West Las Vegas, has remained on the job since the accident more than five months ago. But his driving privileges have been revoked, West officials said.

  • Sapello neighbors help rebuild man's house

    Jackson Rodgers saw his home severely damaged in a fire over the weekend, but he says his neighbors have come through for him.

    He woke up smelling the smoke from the fire around 4:30 a.m. last Saturday in the Sapello area. The blaze damaged about a third of the house, mostly in the living room and the bedroom, he said.

    But Rodgers said a half-dozen families have helped him “pretty much put back together” the house.

  • Pipes burst at new dorms

    A problem with the fire sprinkler system in Highlands University’s new dorms has prompted the school to temporarily move 52 students.

    On Dec. 28, a campus security officer noticed that pipes in the sprinkler system had burst, causing damage to some of the dorm rooms, Highlands spokesman Sean Weaver said.

    The trigger in the sprinkler system malfunctioned, so some of the pipes filled up with water, then bursting when they froze, he said.

  • RHS has alarm problems

    Robertson High School has been having some trouble with its fire alarm system.

    On Wednesday and Thursday mornings, the alarm went off, but officials quickly told students they were false and not to leave. In one case, the alarm went off for a while, prompting some students to block their ears to muffle the noise.

    Superintendent Rick Romero said the district has contacted an electrical contractor to fix the problem.

  • Voters to decide on charter

    Now Las Vegas voters will decide on a new constitution for the city government.

    On Wednesday, the City Council voted 3-1 to present a proposed city charter to voters in the March 2 municipal election.

    The council approved the proposed charter drafted by the Charter Commission, whose 11 members were appointed by the mayor, the council and the municipal judge.

    Over the last two months, the council twice rejected the proposed charter because a majority of members didn’t like the provision for runoff elections.

  • Alfonso Ortiz: Likely new mayor

    San Miguel County Treasurer Alfonso Ortiz will be the only candidate for Las Vegas mayor in the March election.

    It’s the first time in recent memory that a non-incumbent has run unopposed for the city’s top spot. Another rarity is that no city incumbents are running for re-election.

    Filing day for municipal candidates was Tuesday.

    In December, Ortiz, 69, who served as a councilman in the 1970s and 1980s, announced that he would run for mayor.

  • Wood company 'alive and well'

    A year ago, Las Vegas-based Old Wood was experiencing tough times, as were many businesses.

    Now, David Old, the company’s owner, reports that his business is “alive and well.” Old Wood is expected to have up to 15 employees within the next couple of weeks, many of whom have been hired in recent days, he said.