.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Baca case to stay in Las Vegas

    District Judge Eugenio Mathis denied the defense’s motion for change of venue in the manslaughter case against Richard Baca on Wednesday.

    Baca is accused of fatally shooting Benito Lemos, a local postal carrier, in late 2009.

    Baca’s defense team — attorneys Jeffery Buckles and Stacey A. Ward — contend that the media coverage provided by the Las Vegas Optic has tainted prospective jurors.

  • Businessman pleads guilty

    A Las Vegas business owner faces at least 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to drug trafficking and firearms charges.

    Alex Lawrence Romero, 31, of the 500 block of Hermosa Lane,  had been accused of using his Grand Avenue business as a front to sell narcotics.

    Romero entered the plea on Jan. 14, according to a news release jointly issued by Las Vegas Police Interim Chief Christian Montaño and District Attorney Richard Flores.

  • Mentor of the Month: Building better bodies

    Never one to shy away from a big challenge, Edmund Ekeoha of Las Vegas — a prime example of what he’s hoping to accomplish — has begun a venture to improve people’s appearance, but more importantly, to improve their health.

    “Age doesn’t matter. I like to work with different people looking to getting in shape,” he said.

  • Screening committee appointed

    The Las Vegas City Schools board has taken another step toward hiring a new superintendent — by selecting people to assist in the search.

    They also released a list of those who have applied for the position. Many are familiar to Las Vegas residents, some are not.      

  • Las Vegas’ Fiestas committee taking shape

    The city is still seeking volunteers to help put together this year’s summertime fiestas, with a first round of appointments to be made at this week’s council meeting.

    Mayor Alfonso Ortiz is expected to name several people who have volunteered to help organize the fiestas to specific committees. The event was taken over by the city in October after a number of controversies involving the nonprofit Las Vegas Fiesta Council.

  • East-side forum draws crowd

    Fiscal concerns top the list of issues facing the Las Vegas City Schools, say several candidates for that district’s school board.

    Nine hopefuls — three for each of three positions — participated in a public forum Thursday at Memorial Middle School’s auditorium. The forum, conducted by Community Committee for Better Schools and the Las Vegas Optic, drew more than 125 spectators on a chilly evening.

    School board elections on both sides of town will be held Tuesday, Feb. 1.

  • Students to meet candidates

    A group of students at Robertson High School decided that they need to meet the candidates for this year’s three open school board positions, so they took matters into their own hands.

    The result is another candidate forum — this one at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Robertson’s media room in the library.

    Seniors Aaron Padilla, Wesley Cole and Lexus Jaramillo, of the school’s Key Club, have been the movers and shakers behind the effort to organize the forum.

  • Gubernatorial reading
  • Powell freezes land exchanges

    From AP and staff reports

    State Land Commissioner Ray Powell has ordered an immediate moratorium on land exchanges.

    In making the announcement last week, Powell said three proposed land exchanges in the White Peak area of Mora and Colfax counties will not go forward.

    The action is part of an overall review of policies at the State Land Office.

  • LV man charged with raping girl

    A Las Vegas man was arrested Friday for allegedly raping a little girl repeatedly, beginning when she was 9 years old.