.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Chamber deal OK’d, amid questions

    The Las Vegas City Council has signed off on a new annual contract with the Las Vegas-San Miguel Chamber of Commerce to promote the community to tourists.

    But one council member raised questions about the group, saying he wants more accountability.

    The new contract will give the chamber $164,000, down from last year’s $200,000. Much of that drop is because the city has hired an in-house events coordinator, a role the chamber performed previously.

  • New leader

    The West Las Vegas school board has been split on just about everything in recent times.

    But it seemed to give the new superintendent a chance to get his footing on some pressing issues during its monthly meeting last week.

    Ruben Cordova spent his fifth day on the job working into the midnight hour, along with the school board, on a long agenda that included construction projects that are running behind schedule to fire code violations that could get the schools shut down.

    The board also addressed an appearance of a conflict of interest.

  • Boy's body pulled from lake

    After two days of searching, a state police dive team found a missing 13-year-old boy in Storrie Lake.

    They found the boy, identified as Louis Lucero, around 7 p.m. Saturday, state police spokesman Peter Olson said.

    Storrie Lake park staff started the search Thursday afternoon after they were notified that the boy had gone missing and was presumed to be in the water.

    The state police dive team was also called out.

    The team was in and out of the water that first night. A heavy rain slowed them down just after midnight.

  • City may owe HU $600,000

    The city of Las Vegas may have overcharged Highlands University by $600,000 for natural gas.

    “It appears we had a defective meter,” City Attorney Dave Romero told the City Council last week. “We are verifying this with our own experts. Highlands University has its people looking into this.”

    It was unclear how long the overcharges occurred. City officials didn’t say how they would pay back the money if it was found that the city overcharged the university.

    Romero said it was important to get such information to the public.

  • Council raises sales tax

    The Las Vegas City Council has passed a new sales tax that will amount to 25 cents for every $100 in purchases.

    The city expects the tax to bring in hundreds of thousands every year. For the first five months of the year, it is projected to get the city $300,000. It will take effect Jan. 1.

    The City Council voted 3-2 for the tax, with Mayor Alfonso Ortiz and council members Diane Moore and Andrew Feldman in favor and David Romero and Tonita Gurule-Giron against.

  • County delays warden’s pact

    The County Commission recently delayed consideration of a proposed new three-year contract with Patrick Snedeker, the jail warden.

    Under the proposed agreement, he would get $70,875 a year, which is what he has been making, county officials said.

    Commission Chairman David Salazar made the motion to table the contract. The commission unanimously voted to do so.

    No reasons were given for the decision.

    In other County Commission business:

  • Fiesta members ousted

    The Las Vegas Fiesta Council has ousted six of its members — some of whom have spent many years helping organize the annual event.

    On June 30, Fiesta President Mathew Martinez sent certified letters to the six volunteers, informing them that they were “terminated effective immediately.”

    Most of the six apparently didn’t get the letters until after the Fourth of July weekend, when the fiesta is held. The six make up a third of the council’s membership.

  • Report: Head Start turns around

    In a big turnaround, the West Las Vegas Head Start program is now fully compliant with regulations, a federal agency has determined.

    This will mean that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will end its heightened oversight of the program, said Joseph Griego, the local Head Start director. The oversight was the result of problems the agency found in the local program years ago.

    The program provides early education to low-income children from throughout the area, including the east side.

  • Couple suspected of attacking teen

    A couple has been accused of attacking their daughter’s former best friend, state police said.

    Brenda Parks, 41, of Sapello, was charged with aggravated battery, a third-degree felony.

    Her husband, Raymond Parks, 43, also of Sapello, will face a misdemeanor charge of battery, according to a criminal complaint filed in Magistrate Court.

    The alleged victim was a 17-year-old girl, who was at a Fourth of July party in the Sapello area where the couple was.

  • City stops accepting septic tanks’ waste

    The city of Las Vegas’ wastewater plant recently stopped accepting the contents of septic tanks. Officials say the plant is unable to handle the waste.

    But they expect it to be able to do so in a few weeks, although the city is quick to point out that there are no guarantees.

    The city has taken such waste from haulers for years from residents all over northeastern New Mexico. Now, the haulers must take it to facilities in Santa Fe and Pojoaque, which will likely increase the costs for owners of septic tanks.