.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Jail Log - Nov. 23, 2012

    The following individuals were booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center between Nov. 13 and Nov. 19:

    Antonio Esquibel, 18, magistrate court warrant, one count fourth-degree larceny
    Toby Gonzales, 56, Adult Probation Office warrant — alcohol consumption 10 day sanction
    Juan Gallegos, 31, Magistrate Court warrant, District Court Warrant, failure to pay, failure to appear
    Kelly Standifer, 28, under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, speeding
    Marcos Ruiz, 33, Magistrate Court warrant — six-day commitment

  • Wild horse advocates in state call for gentle tactics

    The Associated Press

    A federal agency’s proposal to use helicopters to gather hundreds of wild horses in northwestern New Mexico has drawn criticism from animal advocates who are urging the government to use gentler tactics.

    The Bureau of Land Management office plans to round up more than 270 wild horses off the Jicarilla/Carracas Mesa area near Navajo Dam.

    An estimated 405 mustangs now roam the 76,000-acre Jicarilla Wild Horse Territory of Carson National Forest and 32,000 acres of BLM-controlled land in the Carracas Mesa Wild Horse Herd Area.

  • Jobless rate drops slightly in New Mexico

    The Associated Press

    SANTA FE — New Mexico’s unemployment rate has dropped slightly to 6.3 percent for October, but state labor officials say the job growth rate remains negative.

    The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions said Tuesday the negative 0.7 percent over-the-year job growth rate represents a loss of about 5,900 jobs.

    The current round of job loss started in June after 10 months of positive growth. Those industries that are losing jobs include construction and professional and business services.

  • Looking Back - Nov. 23, 2012

    In 1962

    Friday, Nov. 23 — An inmate of the New Mexico State Hospital at Las Vegas, one of three who escaped Thanksgiving Day, was still at large today. He and two others escaped by dropping 15 feet from a security ward window. Two of the escapees were recaptured yesterday.

  • Looking Ahead - News - Nov. 23, 2012

    Wildlife Refuge will be open this Sunday

    Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. this Sunday. The Traditional Annual Fall Flight Festival features a 4-1/2 mile self-guided auto drive. Special events include a Bird-a-thon and Kids Wildlife Crafts from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

  • Weather - Nov. 23, 2012

    Friday
    Sunny, with a high near 47.  Mostly clear at night, with a low around 27.

    Saturday
    Sunny, with a high near 63. Mostly clear at night, with a low around 30.

    Sunday
    Sunny, with a high near 62. Partly cloudy at night, with a low around 34.

    Monday

  • Cleanup a task in NY, NJ

    By David B. Caruso
    The Associated Press

    NEW YORK — Just a few months ago, the parking lot at Jacob Riis Park on New York City’s Rockaway seashore was filled with happy beachgoers. Now, it is home to a mountain of misery from Superstorm Sandy — a growing pile of garbage containing everything from mangled appliances, splintered plywood and sodden drywall to shreds of clothing and family photos.

  • In Brief - News - Nov. 23, 2012

    From The Associated Press

    Officials mull Zozobra date
    SANTA FE — The Santa Fe group that organizes the annual Zozobra ritual is considering moving the event from Thursday to Friday nights.
    The Kiwanis Club of Santa Fe’s Zozobra director says the group is considering the day move. Ray Sandoval tells the Santa Fe New Mexican its awaiting a change of officers at the Santa Fe Fiesta Council before making a final decision.

  • To frack or not to frack

    Proponent: Groundwater won’t be harmed

    PECOS —The head of the Energy, Minerals & Natural Resources Department told San Miguel County commissioners last week that despite the fear that surrounds fracking, there has never been a case of water contamination from hydraulic fracturing in New Mexico.

  • Ex-daycare owner pleads in sex case

    The former daycare center owner charged with molesting two of the children who attended his facility has pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal sexual contact of a minor.

    Under the terms of the plea agreement, Edward Quintana, 72, of the 2500 block of Montezuma Street, will get five years of supervised probation and have to register as a sex offender. The agreement gives the judge the authority to impose a deferred or suspended sentence. Quintana must also stay away from his victims.