.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Charges rock department

    The Associated Press

    SANTA FE — A former investigator accuses the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management of slander and harassment in a labor-related complaint.

    The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that a New Mexico district court heard Wednesday a case involving former intelligence analyst Victor Javier Marquez. He is seeking a restraining order against the department’s chief counsel, George Heidke, for alleged slander and a pattern of harassment.

  • Celebrating creativity
  • Free computer science camp next week at NMHU

    By Margaret McKinney
    Submitted to the Optic

  • Campos to retire from Luna

    Amid continued deteriorating relationships with his board, Luna Community College President Pete Campos said on Tuesday that he plans to retire when his current contract expires in one year.

    Campos said he notified Board Chairman Abelino Montoya about his decision Tuesday morning, and an announcement was sent to other board members at about the same time.

  • Poring over Pinocchio lines
  • Worker accused of taking money

    A Wal-Mart employee was arrested and charged late last month with eight counts of misdemeanor embezzlement after he allegedly stole money from the store’s cash registers.

    An arrest warrant affidavit filed in San Miguel County Magistrate Court on June 25 identifies the suspect as 25-year-old Gabriel Montoya, whose  address in court documents is listed as being on the 700 block of Taos Street.

  • Local businessman attacked by pit bull

    The owner of Tito’s Gallery was attacked by a pit bull Monday afternoon, and authorities are now trying to find the dog to place it in quarantine.

    Tito Chavez said he stepped out of his shop at about 4 p.m. Monday to go for a walk. A short while later, he said he encountered a male walking a big brown pit bull.

    “I waved to the guy and said, ‘Hi,’” Chavez said. “When I past him, the dog came around and lunged at me.”

  • New executive officer
  • In Brief - New Mexico News - July 10, 2013

    From The Associated Press

  • Flooding danger prompts warning

    The Associated Press

    SANTA FE — A federal wildfire response team is recommending that the popular recreation area of Pecos Canyon remain closed to the public for two years because of hazards from recent major wildfires in the Santa Fe National Forest.

    The federal Burned Area Emergency Response team concludes that Pecos Canyon east of Santa Fe will be at high risk of erosion, hazardous debris and flash flooding due to potential runoff from slopes burned by the Tres Lagunas and Jaroso fires, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported Monday.