.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • County conned out of $38K

    Sophisticated email scammers managed to persuade San Miguel County’s finance supervisor to transfer $38,000 to an outside account last month.

    Now the county is out that money as New Mexico State Police try to figure out who the culprit is. County officials are still holding out hope that the money will be recovered.

  • Rec center patrons upset about closure

    Patrons of the Abelino Montoya Recreation Center packed into the City Council chambers on Wednesday to plead for an alternate workout site while the rec center is closed for repairs.

    City officials have announced that the rec center would be closing on July 1 so that crews can move forward with extensive repairs to the building’s swimming pool area. The rehab of the rec center could take eight months, although city officials have stressed that the entire rec center won’t be closed for that entire period.

  • Take a dip to beat the heat

    Temperatures could stay in the 90s over the next few days, but there’s a way to beat the heat. The swimming pool at Highlands University offers two sessions for open swimming during the weekend.

    On both Saturday and Sunday the pool is available for a dip from noon to 1:45 p.m. for open swim and from 2 to 3:45 p.m. for family swim.

    “We are open year-round for people to come and swim,” Phil Marquez, the director of the HU pool, said. “Come out and enjoy some fun.”

  • Fire reaches Chilili, burns structures

    By Susan Montoya Bryan
    The Associated Press

    ALBUQUERQUE — A blaze burning in central New Mexico outpaced firefighters Thursday as it marched across miles of tinder-dry forest, forcing evacuations and destroying structures in the small community of Chilili.

    The blaze made a big push overnight, but fire information officers could not immediately say how many structures were burned or whether any were homes since crews have not been able to access and survey the area.

  • Albuquerque carjacking, shootout leaves two dead

    The Associated Press

    Bernalillo County authorities say a victim and a suspect are dead following a carjacking and a subsequent shootout between a suspect and law enforcement officers.

    The Sheriff’s Department says deputies and Albuquerque police officers returned fire after they stopped the stolen SUV and the suspect inside the vehicle opened fire late Wednesday night.

    The suspect died and Sheriff Manuel Gonzales says it’s believed that law enforcement gunfire hit the suspect, but details on his injuries are not immediately available.

  • Gunman searched Facebook during attack

    By Eric Tucker
    and Mike Schneider
    The Associated Press

    ORLANDO, Fla. — While his victims texted heartbreaking last words to loved ones from the blood-drenched bathrooms, Omar Mateen apparently went on Facebook to measure the shockwaves his attack on a gay nightclub was generating.

    He searched for the terms “Pulse Orlando” and “Shooting,” according to a letter released by a Senate committee.

  • Jail Log June 17, 2016

    The following individuals were booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center between June 7 and June 13:

    Patricia Casados, 58, eight-day commitment
    Antonio Olivarez, 30, probation violation: positive UA cocaine
    Patrick DeHerrera, 32, criminal damage to property, bench warrant, SM Magistrate
    James Muse, 54, probation violation: positive UA
    Patrick Baca Jr., 37, two-day commitment
    Zebadiah Romero, 27, failure to appear, bench warrant, Santa Fe
    John Chavez, 34, probation violation: positive UA Meth

  • Que Pasa June 17, 2016

    6.18.2016
    SATURDAY
    8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  • Teen murderer committed ‘til 21

    She stood before Judge Gerald Baca on Monday clutching an 8x10 photograph of her son, unable to speak except to whisper the word “justice” as a relative was addressing the court on her family’s behalf.

    It’s been nearly a year since Carlos Yara, 24, was stabbed to death by the teenage son of the woman he was dating, but Josie Ortega is still mourning the loss of her son.

    Tears streamed down her face as Christine Pacheco, her son’s godmother, described the many things Yara and his family will not be able to experience.

  • FBI probing whether killer frequented club

    By Jason Dearen and Terrance Harris
    The Associated Press

    ORLANDO — The FBI is investigating reports that Orlando gunman Omar Mateen had been a regular at the gay nightclub he attacked and had used gay dating apps, a U.S. official briefed on the case said Tuesday.

    A number of possible explanations and motives for the bloodbath that left 49 victims dead have emerged, with Mateen professing allegiance to the Islamic State group, his ex-wife saying he was mentally ill, and his father suggesting he was driven by hatred of gays.