.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Albuquerque carjacking, shootout leaves two dead

    The Associated Press

    Bernalillo County authorities say a victim and a suspect are dead following a carjacking and a subsequent shootout between a suspect and law enforcement officers.

    The Sheriff’s Department says deputies and Albuquerque police officers returned fire after they stopped the stolen SUV and the suspect inside the vehicle opened fire late Wednesday night.

    The suspect died and Sheriff Manuel Gonzales says it’s believed that law enforcement gunfire hit the suspect, but details on his injuries are not immediately available.

  • Gunman searched Facebook during attack

    By Eric Tucker
    and Mike Schneider
    The Associated Press

    ORLANDO, Fla. — While his victims texted heartbreaking last words to loved ones from the blood-drenched bathrooms, Omar Mateen apparently went on Facebook to measure the shockwaves his attack on a gay nightclub was generating.

    He searched for the terms “Pulse Orlando” and “Shooting,” according to a letter released by a Senate committee.

  • Jail Log June 17, 2016

    The following individuals were booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center between June 7 and June 13:

    Patricia Casados, 58, eight-day commitment
    Antonio Olivarez, 30, probation violation: positive UA cocaine
    Patrick DeHerrera, 32, criminal damage to property, bench warrant, SM Magistrate
    James Muse, 54, probation violation: positive UA
    Patrick Baca Jr., 37, two-day commitment
    Zebadiah Romero, 27, failure to appear, bench warrant, Santa Fe
    John Chavez, 34, probation violation: positive UA Meth

  • Que Pasa June 17, 2016

    6.18.2016
    SATURDAY
    8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  • Teen murderer committed ‘til 21

    She stood before Judge Gerald Baca on Monday clutching an 8x10 photograph of her son, unable to speak except to whisper the word “justice” as a relative was addressing the court on her family’s behalf.

    It’s been nearly a year since Carlos Yara, 24, was stabbed to death by the teenage son of the woman he was dating, but Josie Ortega is still mourning the loss of her son.

    Tears streamed down her face as Christine Pacheco, her son’s godmother, described the many things Yara and his family will not be able to experience.

  • FBI probing whether killer frequented club

    By Jason Dearen and Terrance Harris
    The Associated Press

    ORLANDO — The FBI is investigating reports that Orlando gunman Omar Mateen had been a regular at the gay nightclub he attacked and had used gay dating apps, a U.S. official briefed on the case said Tuesday.

    A number of possible explanations and motives for the bloodbath that left 49 victims dead have emerged, with Mateen professing allegiance to the Islamic State group, his ex-wife saying he was mentally ill, and his father suggesting he was driven by hatred of gays.

  • Programs serve meals to kids

    Kids in the area can get a free breakfast and lunch as part of summer food programs. The meals are available to all children regardless of income.

    Both Las Vegas City Schools and West Las Vegas Schools provide breakfast and lunch at a school site within their district and at public parks. Meals are served Monday through Friday.

  • Judge orders legislature to release records

    The Associated Press

    SANTA FE — A state district judge is ordering New Mexico’s Legislature to turn over 15 subpoenaed documents to prosecutors as they pursue fraud charges against a former senator.

  • In Brief June 15, 2016

    The Associated Press

    Police suspend search

    New Mexico State Police have stopped searching for a record producer and songwriter who disappeared while camping north of Pecos.

    The New Mexican reports that police say they suspended the search for 60-year-old Elliot Wolff on Sunday after finding no clues about his whereabouts.

    State police spokesman Sgt. Chad Pierce says Wolff got a ride to a picnic area and fishing spot and was last seen at about 5 p.m. on June 7.

  • Man suspected of killing family is in custody

    By Mary Hudetz
    The Associated Press

    The search for a man charged in the deaths of his wife and four daughters in the United States ended in the hills of a northern Mexico town where authorities say the suspect threatened to take his life as officers closed in on him.

    Juan David Villegas-Hernandez was taken into custody by Sonora state police on Sunday — a day after police in Roswell said the 34-year-old shot and killed his wife, Cynthia Villegas, and their four daughters — ages 14, 11, 7 and 3.