West rejects hazing suspects

-A A +A
By David Giuliani

Four of the suspects in the alleged hazing at a Robertson High School football camp last month tried to become students at West Las Vegas High School.

West’s principal, Gene Parson, doesn’t want that to happen. He decided Thursday to bar the four from entering his school, officials said this morning.

Last week, a hearing officer for the Las Vegas City Schools, June Romero, decided to suspend the four for the rest of the year.

West Superintendent Jim Abreu said this morning that Parson’s decision was based on policies that allow a school to prohibit admission of a student who has been disciplined by another district because of “behavior detrimental to the welfare or safety of other students or school employees.”

The four who tried to enroll at West can appeal the decision to Abreu within 10 days. And if he also rejects them, they can take the matter to the school board.

Last month, Robertson’s principal, Richard Lopez, recommended the expulsion of the six suspects in the hazing, which involved allegations of players sodomizing others with broomsticks. Four of the hearings were held last week.

On Thursday, hearings were held for the other two, and Romero decided to suspend one student for the rest of the year and expel the other one.

The students are also under investigation by the state police. No charges have yet been filed.