The former Las Vegas day care operator who pleaded guilty earlier this year to attempted criminal sexual penetration of a family member was sentenced Wednesday to three years in prison.
Edward Quintana, 73, will have to serve five years on probation after he is released from prison and two years on parole.
He is also required to register as a sex offender.
Three years imprisonment was the maximum sentence allowed under the plea agreement, and despite requests for leniency from Quintana’s family members and friends, Judge Albert Mitchell imposed the maximum sentence.
“I am very pleased with Judge Mitchell’s sentence of this defendant,” District Attorney Richard Flores said in a news release.
This is the final case in a series filed against Quintana, who resides on the 2500 block of Montezuma Street. The two other cases were also resolved with plea agreements.
In the case for which Quintana was sentenced Wednesday, he pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted first-degree criminal sexual penetration of a minor under 13. The victim in that case is a family member who was 8 at the time of the incident. The victim, who is now 26, reported the abuse to police two years ago, and Quintana was charged in December 2011.
The woman told investigators that after Quintana sexually abused her he bought her ice cream and asked if she enjoyed it. She told police that she told him no and that she told him never to touch her again.
She also told police she came forward because she didn’t want Quintana to abuse anyone else.
“Quintana was a trusted family member who took advantage of this very young child,” Flores said. “It is inexcusable and reprehensible that he violated her trust and her youth. I hope that with time, the victim can heal from the wrong committed upon her.”
Flores praised the woman for her patience and cooperation as the case was making its way through the system.
“I can’t say enough about the courage that this woman showed in first disclosing what happened to her and subsequently throughout these proceedings.”
That case resulted in two other victims coming forward. Those victims attended Viola’s Day Care when they were children.
Viola’s Day Care was owned and operated by Quintana and his wife.
In those cases, Quintana pleaded guilty to molesting the two girls and was sentenced to three years of probation.
One of those victims told authorities that she was 8 when she was inappropriately touched by Quintana between May and July 2002. The woman said Quintana took her to the Masonic Cemetery to put flags on graves and that while they were at the cemetery, Quintana pulled her pants down and touched her genitals.
The other case involved a woman who told authorities that Quintana inappropriately touched her when she was 7 and 12.
Las Vegas police detective Pam Sandoval investigated the case.
At Wednesday’s hearing, Quintana was represented by Flora Gallegos. The state was represented by Luann Linsalata.