THUMBS UP! HELPING THOSE IN NEED
Luna Community College students are sponsoring a coat drive to help people stay warm this winter. The last day to donate a coat and other items like hats, gloves and scarves is Nov. 22. The items will be distributed on Nov. 23. It’s great to see students getting involved in such a worthy cause. Let’s help them out by looking through our closets and donating the coats we no longer use.
THUMBS UP! MURDER CHARGE FILED
More than two years after the body of Patsy Trujillo was discovered in a field in rural Mora County, her boyfriend has been charged with murder. It will be up to the courts to decide whether Dennis Escovedo is guilty, but we’re happy to see state police and the district attorney’s office moving forward on this case. Trujillo and her family deserve justice.
THUMBS DOWN! DRIVE-BY SHOOTING
The early Friday morning drive-by shooting on Sixth Street is a scary reminder of the fact that such things don’t just happen in big cities. Fortunately, no one was injured in the shooting, but a car and at least one business were hit. Let’s hope that the person or people responsible are caught soon. And if you know anything about the incident, call police. This could have been a real tragedy.
THUMBS UP! FEDERAL DISASTER DECLARED
President Barack Obama signed a disaster declaration last week for the flooding that occurred in San Miguel and Mora counties in September. The declaration will free up federal funds to help local governments deal with the millions of dollars in damage that resulted.
THUMBS UP! GREEN VS. RED = CHRISTMAS
The annual face-off between the West Las Vegas Dons and the Robertson High School Cardinals, known as the Vegas Bowl, is set for noon Saturday at Cardinal Stadium. Despite season records to date, games between strong, long-standing rivals often tend to be close. Whether you go to the stadium adorned in red, or green or in a Christmas-clothing-chile outfit, go support our teams.
AND WE QUOTE
“I cry every day. I did everything for them out of the goodness of my heart.”
— Denise Encinias about the two boarding house clients who died, presumably of carbon monoxide poisoning, while in her care.