• The Mora Motor Vehicle Department will be closed until Friday, Sept. 20. Any questions should be directed to the Mora County Manager’s Office at (575) 387-5279.
• Casa de Cultura’s Fifth Annual “Ain’t Got no Frijoles” Blues Festival, Friday, Sept. 20 and Saturday, Sept. 21. Friday, Sept. 20 - Cruise Las Vegas & Blues Dance Party, Cruise Las Vegas from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., starting at Plaza Park, Blues Dance from 8 p.m. to midnight, at Plaza Hotel Ilfeld Ballroom with music by Jeff Romero’s Rainy Monday Blues Band and The Jake Loggins Band, tickets are $10 per person. Free concert on Saturday, Sept. 21 from 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Plaza Park, Las Vegas, performers: Hillary Smith and Soul Kitchen, Kenny Sky Wolf and The Jake Loggins Band. For more information call, Casa de Cultura at 454-6771 or the Chamber of Commerce at 425-8631.
• Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance and Friends of the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge hike to Burro Canyon, the headwaters of the Gallinas River, has been cancelled due to flooding and replaced with a butterfly count on Saturday, Sept. 21. Gallinas area counters will be in the field all day, weather permitting. Beginning “butterfliers” and young people are welcome. Bring lunch and adequate water. Participants are asked to meet at 9 a.m. at the fishing / ice-skating pond in Montezuma. To cover expenses organizers are asking $3 from each participant. For information, email to Sonya Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 425- 6680.
• First Fort and Arsenal Tours at Fort Union National Monument, Saturday, Sept. 21. The public may visit the site of the original fort, and see the remnants of Fort Union’s arsenal, which was crucial in keeping the army of the Southwest supplied with arms and munitions. Ranger guided programs will take place at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:15 p.m., and 2 p.m. For more information and a complete schedule of events, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025, ext. 0, or visit www.nps.gov/foun.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital’s Community-Wide Health Fair, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center Gymnasium. Free health screenings and information will be featured from area health care and insurance providers, consumer advocates and groups, social service and volunteer organizations. Health screenings will include blood pressure and blood sugar screenings. The United Blood Services will be on site to accept blood donations. Other offerings at the health fair include face painting and games for the kids and much more. For more information about the health fair contact Linda Leyba at 426-3959 or email email@example.com.
• Gary Leger Memorial FFA Bingo, 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 22 at the Father George Salazar Building on National Ave. There will be door prizes, a concession and a $200 jackpot. Tickets are $5 each and may be purchased at the door.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• San Miguel/Mora County Fair Board meeting, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24 at the fairgrounds. For more information, call 575-447-2138.
• Ledoux Community Water meeting, 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 26 at the Ledoux Fire Department.
• Ray Drew Gallery exhibition of artworks by Don Shaw titled, “Look Up,” will run until Friday, Sept. 27, at the gallery, located on the first floor of Donnelly Library. An artist’s reception and talk by Shaw will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27, at the gallery. For information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.
• Robertson High School Class of 1993 is having its 20th reunion for homecoming on Friday, Sept. 27 to Saturday, Sept. 28. For more information, contact Alberta at 505-699-2910 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Robertson High School Class of 1963 is having its 50th reunion in September in Las Vegas, Nev. The reunion will be held in conjunction with the classes of 1949 through 1983. For more information email Mary (Schuler) Fontaine at email@example.com or Betty (Mills) Gazaway at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• “5 for 5” Frida Kahlo/Dia de Los Muertos ATC Swap, all ATC’s must be mailed to Bambi Doe Blake at Tuesday, Oct. 1 so they can be swapped and mailed for “El Dia De Los Muertos,” on Saturday, Nov. 2. For more information, email Blake at email@example.com.
• Ride to Pride’s Seventh Annual Benefit Dinner, Auction and Dance, 6 p.m. to midnight on Friday, Oct. 18 at the Civic with live music by “Slo Burning.” Tickets are $45 couple, $25 individual, and $15 kids 12 and younger. For more information, call 425-9738 or 429-3905.
• The Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, a free community service sponsored by the United World College meets on from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church (Chavez at Socorro streets). All singers ages six to twelve are welcome. The group meets weekly on Wednesdays to share and learn music. The fall session will culminate in a December performance. No prior experience necessary. For more info contact coordinator Kevin Zoernig at (505)699 6624.