• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization is sponsoring the 10th Annual Little Miss Las Vegas Pageant on Sunday, Oct. 2 at West Las Vegas High School. The competition is open to girls ages 6 to 12. Phases of competition are talent, casual wear, on-stage question and party/formal wear. Entry forms may be picked up at the Las Vegas-San Miguel Chamber of Commerce or the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Entry deadline is Friday, Sept. 2. No entry fee required. For more information, call Philip Ortiz at 718-5656.
• Wagon Mound celebrates “Bean Days 101” on Sept. 2 to Sept. 5 in Wagon Mound, N.M. Numerous activities planned including dances, a parade, music in the park, food, kids events and the traditional free beans and barbecue lunch. For more information, visit www.BeanDay100.com or call 575-666-2697.
• Cleveland Millfest, the two-day event takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Labor Day Weekend Sept. 3 and 4. Call 575-387-2645 or 575-387-6763 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
• City of Las Vegas Transfer Station will be closed on Saturday, Sept. 3 and Monday, Sept. 5 in observance of Labor Day.
• Movies in the Park, this weeks showing is “Ice Age the Meltdown” starting at dusk on Saturday, Sept. 3, at Carnegie Library Park (weather permitting). Popcorn, drinks and snacks will be for sale by the Friends of the Library.
• The Las Vegas Optic offices will be closed on Monday, Sept. 5 in observance of the Labor Day holiday. The office will open for regular business hours on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
• The San Miguel County offices will be closed on Monday, Sept. 5 and will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 6 in observance of Labor Day.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge will be open to mourning dove hunting. For more information, call Lori Casados at 425-3581 x203.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) will be at 5:15 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, at 5:15 p.m. NMHU Donnelly Library, room 325. Bob Wessley will speak on the topic, “Water — How Can We Dodge Murphy's Law?” He is a member of the Las Vegas Utility Advisory Committee, Vice President of the Las Vegas Community Water Board, and a Sustainable Las Vegas board member. For further information, call Emelie at 454-3920 or Lloyd at 454-3122.
• Neighborhood meeting at 4 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 10 at the South Pacific Park in Old Town Las Vegas. Everyone welcome especially members of the former South Pacific Area Neighborhood Association. Utilization of two small grants will be discussed.
• Patriot Day Remembrance Ceremony to honor the victims of September 11. This ceremony is a chance for the community to come together to remember those who perished on that day. It is dedicated to all Americans and members of the armed forces who continue to fight the battle against terrorism and will also honor our local police, fire and volunteer EMTs who so heroically serve our local community. Ceremony will be held at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept.11 at the Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408, 2305 Collins Drive. Contact Diane Garcia at 425-6181 for more information.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital Life Run will take begin with a 5K Run/Walk at 7:30 a.m. and an one mile Kid Run at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 17 starting and finishing at the local hospital’s parking lot. For more information, visit: AltaVistaRegionalHospital.com/healthfairandrun or call 426-3772.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1986 will be having its 25th Year Reunion on Friday, Sept. 23 and Saturday, Sept. 24. Classes from 1987, 1988 and 1989 are also invited to participate. RSVP by Aug. 31. You can Facebook West Las Vegas Class of 1986. For more information call Dawna Ortega Gallegos at 505-718-8774, Gary Gold at 505-718-2300 or Lori Trujillo Gonzales at 505-718-9640.
• The descendants of Miguel Romero y Baca and Josepha Delgado de Romero and their five sons and five daughters are planning a Family Reunion to celebrate the 100th anniversary of New Mexican Statehood, and the legacy and role of The Romero Family in the establishment of the 47th State in 1912. The reunion will take place June 14 to June 17, 2012 in Las Vegas at venues throughout the city. Reunion Headquarters will be the Plaza Hotel founded by Benigno Romero in 1882. For information contact Kathleen Ortiz at 505-858-0802 or email email@example.com or Evelyn Baca-Kight at 505-843-9153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Members of the Romero Family are encouraged to contact out-of-state descendants with news of the reunion.