• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Charlie Needs a Cloak” by Tomie de Paola and the theme is “Happy Birthday, Mr. Tomie (Sept. 15).” All programs are free and open to the public.
• Search and Rescue meeting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 14, at the Professional Health Care Annex, 1931 Seventh, across from the Forest Service Office.
• AA Speaker and Public Information meeting, 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 14 at the Highlands Happy Hour Meeting room at 310 Mills Ave. Featured speaker is Joseph G. Open meeting an the public is invited to attend.
• The West Las Vegas High School Junior Class will be having a parent/guardian meeting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 14, at the science classroom #103 at the high school. All parents and guardians are encouraged to attend.
• Cub Scout Pack #60 will have their regular scheduled meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 15, at the National Guard Armory. If you have any questions or would like to join Cub Scouts (boys first through fifth grade), contact Ida Sue at 617-0849.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital Life Run will take begin with a 5K Run/Walk at 7:30 a.m. and an one mile Kid Run at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 17, starting and finishing at the local hospital’s parking lot. For more information, visit: AltaVistaRegionalHospital.com/healthfairandrun or call 426-3772.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1986 will be having its 25th Year Reunion on Friday, Sept. 23 and Saturday, Sept. 24. Classes from 1987, 1988 and 1989 are also invited to participate. RSVP by Aug. 31. You can Facebook West Las Vegas Class of 1986. For more information call Dawna Ortega Gallegos at 505-718-8774, Gary Gold at 505-718-2300 or Lori Trujillo Gonzales at 505-718-9640. The itinerary is as follows: Friday, Sept. 23—Tailgate Party at 4 p.m. outside Perkins Stadium; Attend Dons’ Football Game at 7 p.m.; Social gathering after the game at El Rialto Rye Lounge. Saturday, Sept. 24—Dinner on your own from 5-7 p.m. at El Rialto; Social gathering at Leger’s at 9 p.m.
• The local VFW is hosting a bingo on Sunday, Sept. 25, to help the costs of the upcoming 720th reunion and ceremony scheduled for Veteran’s Day. For more information, call Nancy at 429-1331 or Betty at 429-1402.
• The Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge will be open to mourning dove hunting. For more information, call Lori Casados at 425-3581 x203.
• The descendants of Miguel Romero y Baca and Josepha Delgado de Romero and their five sons and five daughters are planning a Family Reunion to celebrate the 100th anniversary of New Mexican Statehood, and the legacy and role of The Romero Family in the establishment of the 47th State in 1912. The reunion will take place June 14 to June 17, 2012 in Las Vegas at venues throughout the city. Reunion Headquarters will be the Plaza Hotel founded by Benigno Romero in 1882. For information contact Kathleen Ortiz at 505-858-0802 or email email@example.com or Evelyn Baca-Kight at 505-843-9153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Members of the Romero Family are encouraged to contact out-of-state descendants with news of the reunion.