• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is hosting a free Healthy Woman “Doc Talk” beginning at noon on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at the AVRH Classrooms, 104 Legion Drive in Las Vegas. Dr. Chawki Nahabet, obstetrician and gynecologist will present on “Understanding Breast Cancer Risks and Treatments.” The free event begins with a light lunch at 11:45 a.m. and the presentation beginning at noon, followed by a question-and-answer session. Women and men of all ages are invited. For more information and to reserve your seat, call Marla Martinez at 426-3772 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Abe Montoya Recreation Center Halloween Carnival and Haunted House, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 29 and Wednesday, Oct. 30 at the center. There will be games for .25 cents a ticket, a concession stand, costume contest and face painting. Attendees are asked to bring a nonperishable food item for the food drive. Participating agencies include Las Vegas Elks Lodge 408 Drug Awareness Program, Las Vegas San Miguel Chamber of Commerce, NMHU Softball Team, NMHU Women Basketball Team, Robertson High School Cheerleaders, Amistad y Resolana, Lady Diamond Cheerleaders and the Las Vegas Dollies. For more information, call 426-1739 or 426-3207.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 30, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “A Halloween Mask for Monster” by Virginia Mueller. Free and open to the public.
• Halloween Costume Contest, 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Must be 16 and older. Categories include scariest, funniest, sexiest and best costume overall. Followed by the showing of Halloween movie, “RIPD,” rated PG-13.
• Trick or treat at Carnegie Library,10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31. Come by for a book and a treat. Sponsored by Friends of the Las Vegas Carnegie Library.
• “In the Name of Sustainability: A New Community Rights Movement,” with speaker Thomas Alan Linzey, Esq., 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 4 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Linzey, an attorney and the Executive Director of the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund. He will speak about a new community rights movement which is emerging across the United States. For more information, call Kathleen Dudley at 575-666-2529 or visit www.nmccr.org.
• Fall Flight Festival 2012 at Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3 and will take place each Sunday in November. The Traditional Annual Fall Flight Festival features a 4 1/2 mile self-guided auto drive. A raptor presentation and Kids Wildlife Crafts will take place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. All events at the refuge are free and open to the public. For further information, contact Jan Arrott at 454-6115.