• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 2, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “The Little Leaf that Wouldn’t Fall by Nadine Brun-Cosme and Olivier Tallec. Free and open to the public.
• New Mexico Department of Health’s San Miguel Public Health Office’s first flu shot clinic of the season from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 3 at 18 Gallegos Road in Las Vegas. The immunization clinic is open to the public and free of charge. The New Mexico Department of Health offers vaccinations for people without insurance or who are otherwise not able to get immunized. Those with Medicaid or other health insurance should bring their insurance cards with them to the clinic. For more information on the no-charge flu shot clinic, call the San Miguel Public Health Office at 425-9368.
• Las Vegas Plein Air Paint Out, Thursday, Oct. 3 through Sun, Oct. 6. Opening night, artist registration, slide show and lecture with NMHU Assistant Professor of Art, Ester O’Fearghail at El Zocalo Artist Co-op. from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 3. Cost is $25 per participant and $10 for students, but no one turned away for lack of funds. For more information, contact Duffy at 426-6688 or Amber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free legal fair will be held in Las Vegas from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4, at the New Mexico Highlands University Student Union Building, 800 National Ave. Attorneys will be available to provide free consultations on a first-come, first-served basis on a variety of civil legal topics, including probate, divorce, custody, landlord/tenant, bankruptcy, unemployment, and immigration. Interpreters will also be available. This clinic is presented by the Fourth Judicial District Pro Bono Committee. For more information, contact Jane Zhi at 505-797-6040 or email@example.com.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Las Vegas Habitat for Humanity silent auction featuring pottery by Paul Volckening at the Ray Drew Gallery at NMHU’s Donnelly Library. An auction preview will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6. A closing reception will take place with final bids from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. The gallery is located on the floor of the library. For more information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.
• The Crypto Jews of New Mexico, a lecture by Charles Truxillo, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 9 at the Lora Shields Science building on the campus of Highlands University. Free and open to the public.
• The annual enchilada dinner to fund Mustard Seed grants to nonprofit groups in Las Vegas and the surrounding area will be served from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 4:30 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 10 in the Flamingo Room of the Hillcrest Restaurant. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 10 and younger. Tickets may be purchased from any member of the First Presbyterian Church, from Em Krall or at the door. There will also be a silent auction.
• Kimberly Reed-Deemer Art Exhibit containing 25 works will be on display to Thursday, Oct. 10 at Burris Hall Gallery on the campus of Highlands University. The gallery is open from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Free and open to the public.
• Make Me a Celebrity city concert registration takes place at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 at Playerz Video Games at 1606 Seventh St. Open to middle, high and college students in Las Vegas. For more information, call 505-603-9225.