• West Las Vegas High School Homecoming festivities, Green-and-gold day on Friday, Oct. 11 with parade line-up at noon and the parade at 1 p.m.
• Make Me a Celebrity city concert registration takes place at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 at Playerz Video Games at 1606 Seventh St. Open to middle, high and college students in Las Vegas. For more information, call 505-603-9225.
• Rally to urge our County Commissioners to extend the Moratorium on fracking in San Miguel County until they can prove it’s safe, 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 18 at Plaza Park. Open mike and music. For more information, call 426-1468.
• Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, on Friday, Oct. 11 at Balloon Fiesta Park in Albuquerque. Morning session — 5:45 a.m. Dawn Patrol, 7 a.m. Special Shape Rodeo, Flying Competition, and AIBF Chainsaw Carving Invitational. Evening session — 5:45 - Special Shape Glowdeo followed by AfterGlow Fireworks Show.
• Panther Fest, enjoy some great music by some of Northern New Mexico’s bands, noon to 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12. All proceeds go to the Pecos basketball programs. Tickets are $20 adult, $15 senior citizens, and $5 children younger than 12. Tickets include the music entertainment and a meal. Tickets are available from any basketball player or coach. Tickets will also be available at the door. Bands include: Ernestine Romero, Los Malcriados, Johnny Sanchez y Puro Norte, Perfeccion, Camino Oscuro, Kenny Medina, and Bobby Madrid.
• Gallinas Watershed Olympics, noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 12 at United World College-USA campus in Montezuma. There will be team competitions in wood splitting, horseshoes, and flycasting. Other events include kids carnival, kite making, bird feeder making and many other events.
• Politics as Usual Benefit Variety Show, 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets are $10.
• Designation of Bridge Street as 1 of 10 Great American Streets in America and Grand Opening of the Breezeway, noon on Saturday, Oct. 12, at the Breezeway on Bridge Street.
• Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, on Saturday, Oct. 12 at Balloon Fiesta Park in Albuquerque. Morning session — 5:45 am. Dawn Patrol, 6:30 a.m. Krispy Kreme Morning Glow, 7 a.m. Mass Ascension, 8 a.m. AIBF Chainsaw Carving International, 11 a.m. Balloon Fiesta Pin Trading, and noon Balloon Fiesta Music Fiesta featuring Darius Rucker and special guests. Evening session — 5 p.m. AIBF Chainsaw Carving International, 5:45 p.m. Night Magic Glow followed by AfterGlow Fireworks Show.
• Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, on Sunday, Oct. 13 at Balloon Fiesta Park in Albuquerque. Morning session — 5:45 a.m. Dawn Patrol Show, 6:30 a.m. Krispy Kreme Morning Glow, 7 a.m. Farewell Mass Ascension.
• Highlands University’s Music Department presents “Musica Romantica” an afternoon of Spanish Music at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 13 at NMHU’s Kennedy Lounge. The show will feature Linda King on piano, Krzysztof Zimowski on violin, Dana Winograd on cello and Andre Garcia-Nuthmann as tenor. Tickets are $5 each.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• New Mexico Highlands University Homecoming Parade, 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19 with line-up at 8:30 a.m. For more information, call 454-3201 or 454-3590.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is hosting a free community wide pre-tailgate barbecue in celebration of New Mexico Highlands University’s 120th Anniversary from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 18 at the hospital’s employee parking lot, 104 Legion Drive in Las Vegas. Come meet with Jim Fries, NMHU President and show your support of the NMHU Cowboys and Cowgirls and don’t forget to wear purple. For more information, contact Marla Martinez at 426-3772 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ride to Pride’s Seventh Annual Benefit Dinner, Auction and Dance, 6 p.m. to midnight on Friday, Oct. 18 at the Civic with live music by “Slo Burning.” Tickets are $45 couple, $25 individual, and $15 kids 12 and younger. For more information, call 425-9738 or 429-3905.
• Elections for Las Vegas Little League and La Plaza Little League, 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is hosting a free Healthy Woman “Doc Talk” beginning at noon on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at the AVRH Classrooms, 104 Legion Drive in Las Vegas. Dr. Chawki Nahabet, obstetrician and gynecologist will present on “Understanding Breast Cancer Risks and Treatments.” The free event begins with a light lunch at 11:45 a.m. and the presentation beginning at noon, followed by a question-and-answer session. Women and men of all ages are invited. For more information and to reserve your seat, call Marla Martinez at 426-3772.