• Public Meeting for the Chacon Post Office, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9 at Tilford Memorial Building in Chacon, N.M. For more Information, contact: Sharon Stewart at 575-387-2320.
• Search and Rescue will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9 in the Professional Health Care Annex, 1931 Seventh, across from the Forest Service Office.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 9, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Pooh’s Honey Adventure” by Lisa Ann Marsoli and the character theme is “Winnie the Pooh.” The theme for the month is “Popular Characters.”All programs are free and open to the public.
• “The Jungle Book” by State Street Ballet Santa Barbara will be performed at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets: general admission $10, NMHU faculty/staff/other local students: $8, NMHU students/children (12 years and under) $5. To purchase tickets and for more information, call 454-3238 or visit KEDP radio station, studio 103 on University Ave.
• AA Speaker and Public Information meeting at 7:30 p.m .on Wednesday, Nov. 9 at the Highlands Happy Hour Room, 310 Mills Ave. Open meeting and the public is invited to attend.
• Free screening of the documentary “Gasland” from 5:15 to 7:15 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 10, at Siniger Hall 100 on the NMHU campus.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) will be at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 10, in Lecture Hall 100 in Sininger Hall on the NMHU campus. Note — this is a different location from our usual one. The event will be co-sponsored by the NMHU chapter of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, as one of their Science Cafe events. The topic will be “Gasland – Natural Gas Extraction Issues and Information.” Jennifer Lindline and other members of the geology faculty at NMHU will lead the conversation. Science Cafés are venues for the Sigma Xi chapter to connect the public with science, whereby science faculty and others can informally share their knowledge during an exchange in a friendly setting. Call Emelie at 454-3920 or Lloyd at 454-9122 for more information.
• Free Senior Jubilee a Senior Citizen Celebration from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 10 at El Valle Community Center, 11 Los Pueblos Road in Villanueva. Topics: Senior Safety Kit; Joy of Repujos (tinwork); Frauds and Scams; Healthy Aging and the Hispanic Family. The celebration will be followed by a dance honoring veterans from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. with musician Bonifacio Benavidez. To make a reservation call George or Sally at 575-421-2256.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The parking lot located near Marr Gym at Robertson High School is closed for three weeks due to paving and finishing work. Students, parents and residents are advised that during this time students will be using parking on Fourth Street near the Quintana Building, south-side parking lot, Fifth Street in front of the Career Education Building, near the tennis courts and along Friedman. Contact Darlene Ulibarri at 454-5770.
• Las Vegas Elks Lodge is holding a Veterans Day Breakfast, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11 at the lodge located at 2305 Collins Drive. All area veterans are invited and encouraged to attend. They will be served a full hot breakfast.
• A low-cost vaccination clinic will be held on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Nov. 11 to Nov. 13 from noon to 3 p.m.at the Building Trades Building at Luna Community College. Services offered: Rabies - $10; Parvo/Distemper - $10; Feline/Distemper - $10; Deworming - $5; Tape Deworming - $5 to $15 and Microchipping - $16. No appointment necessary. Dogs must be on a leash. Cats must be in carriers. Volunteers are also needed. To make an appointment for low-cost spay/neuter services, call 505-699-0603.
• In observance of the Veterans holiday San Miguel County offices will be closed on Friday, Nov. 11, and reopen on Monday, Nov. 14.
• Second Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12 at El Zocalo Gallery, 212 Plaza. In Concert from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Carl Bernstein, Marilyn Priddy, and Scott Atchley; Group Show: Personal Maps by Featured Artist: Deborah Suess - Fiber Arts and Jewelry.
• Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Daughters of the Americas is sponsoring a bingo at 1 p.m on Sunday, Nov. 13, at the Immaculate Conception Church Religious Education Center. Tickets may be purchased at the door or from members for $5. For more information, contact Elain Marquez at 429-2689.
• St. Gertrude’s Parish in Mora Annual Funcion on Sunday, Nov. 13. It will be the 155th Anniversary of St. Gertrude’s. The celebration will begin with a Mass at 10 a.m., followed by a procession to the Mora School Elementary Gym, where there will be a pot-luck dinner, dance, (with live music), mini-carnival, cake walk, silent auction, bingo and raffle. The raffle grand prize is $1,000 along with other prizes. We invite you to join us and bring your families for a fun day. Call 575-387-2336 for more information.
• Students at Sierra Vista Elementary, Legion Park Elementary, Los Niños Elementary, Early Childhood Center, Mike Mateo Sena Elementary and Memorial Middle School may be eligible to receive free tutoring under Title 1 Supplemental Educational Services part of the No Child Left Behind Act. The goals of this program are to help students succeed in school and do well on the upcoming state test, NMSBA. For more information, call the Las Vegas City Schools Bilingual/ Federal Programs office at 454-5700 ext. 111. Registration will close on Monday, Nov. 14.
• University Celebrity at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 14 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets: general admission: $10, all local students students w/valid I.D.’s: $5 and children (10 years and under): $3.
• The United States Air Force Academy Band will present a free public concert by the Academy Winds at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at 7:00 p.m. at Ilfeld Auditorium on the New Mexico Highlands University campus. Free tickets are available through the Las Vegas / San Miguel Chamber of Commerce – however, tickets are not required to attend this free event. For more ticket information, call the chamber of commerce at 425-8631.
• Tierra y Montes Soil & Water Conservation District will hold its monthly board meeting at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at the US Forest Service located at 1926 7th Street. For more information please call 425-9088.
• Fort Union National Monument monthly Glimpses of the Past presentation, “Weaving of the Southwest, Tapetes de Lana.” The program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17 at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge Street, in Las Vegas.