• Reservations for the free Senior Jubilee a Senior Citizen Celebration are due today, Nov. 7. The celebration will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 10 at El Valle Community Center, 11 Los Pueblos Road in Villanueva. Topics: Senior Safety Kit; Joy of Repujos (tinwork); Frauds and Scams; Healthy Aging and the Hispanic Family. The celebration will be followed by a dance honoring veterans from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. with musician Bonifacio Benavidez. To make a reservation call George or Sally at 575-421-2256.
• St. Paul’s Peace Church at the corner of Eighth Street and National is open from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays for prayer and meditation. The labyrinth in front of Faith Hall is open to the public for prayer and meditation every day.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 9, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Pooh’s Honey Adventure” by Lisa Ann Marsoli and the character theme is “Winnie the Pooh.” The theme for the month is “Popular Characters.”All programs are free and open to the public.
• “The Jungle Book” by State Street Ballet Santa Barbara will be performed at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets: general admission $10, NMHU faculty/staff/other local students: $8, NMHU students/children (12 years and under) $5. To purchase tickets and for more information, call 454-3238 or visit KEDP radio station, studio 103 on University Ave.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The parking lot located near Marr Gym at Robertson High School is closed for three weeks due to paving and finishing work. Students, parents and residents are advised that during this time students will be using parking on Fourth Street near the Quintana Building, south-side parking lot, Fifth Street in front of the Career Education Building, near the tennis courts and along Friedman. Contact Darlene Ulibarri at 454-5770.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) will be at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 10, in Lecture Hall 100 in Sininger Hall on the NMHU campus. Note — this is a different location from our usual one. The event will be co-sponsored by the NMHU chapter of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, as one of their Science Cafe events. The topic will be “Gasland – Natural Gas Extraction Issues and Information.” Jennifer Lindline and other members of the geology faculty at NMHU will lead the conversation. Science Cafés are venues for the Sigma Xi chapter to connect the public with science, whereby science faculty and others can informally share their knowledge during an exchange in a friendly setting. Call Emelie at 454-3920 or Lloyd at 454-9122 for more information.
• Las Vegas Elks Lodge is holding a Veterans Day Breakfast, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11 at the lodge located at 2305 Collins Drive. All area veterans are invited and encouraged to attend. They will be served a full hot breakfast.
• In observance of the Veterans holiday San Miguel County office will be closed on Friday, Nov. 11 and reopen on Monday, Nov. 14.
• Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Daughters of the Americas is sponsoring a bingo at 1 p.m on Sunday, Nov. 13, at the Immaculate Conception Church Religious Education Center. Tickets may be purchased at the door or from members for $5. For more information, contact Elain Marquez at 429-2689.
• Students at Sierra Vista Elementary, Legion Park Elementary, Los Niños Elementary, Early Childhood Center, Mike Mateo Sena Elementary and Memorial Middle School may be eligible to receive free tutoring under Title 1 Supplemental Educational Services part of the No Child Left Behind Act. The goals of this program are to help students succeed in school and do well on the upcoming state test, NMSBA. For more information, call the Las Vegas City Schools Bilingual/ Federal Programs office at 454-5700 ext. 111. Registration will close on Monday, Nov. 14.
• University Celebrity at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 14 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets: general admission: $10, all local students students w/valid I.D.’s: $5 and children (10 years and under): $3.
• The United States Air Force Academy Band will present a free public concert by the Academy Winds at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at 7:00 p.m. at Ilfeld Auditorium on the New Mexico Highlands University campus. Free tickets are available through the Las Vegas / San Miguel Chamber of Commerce – however, tickets are not required to attend this free event. For more ticket information,call the chamber of commerce at 425-8631.