• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 23, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Franklin’s Thanksgiving” by Paulette Bouregeois and the character theme is “Franklin” The theme for the month is “Popular Characters.” All programs are free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Free Thanksgiving Dinner, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 24, at El Sombrero Restaurant, 825 Mills Avenue.
• Storrie Lake State Park will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24, and Friday, Nov. 25, in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday. Storrie Lake State Park will re-open at 7 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 26. For questions or for more information, call 425-7278.
• The Las Vegas Optic business office will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24, and Friday, Nov. 25, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. The office will reopen for regular hours on Monday, Nov. 28.
• San Miguel County offices will be closed in observance of the holiday on Thursday, Nov. 24, and Friday, Nov. 25. The offices will reopen on Monday, Nov. 28.
• Two upcoming Christmas Fairs, Nov. 26, Nov. 27 and Dec. 3 in Las Vegas. For more information, contact Inez Gallegos-Lujan at 425-9746 or 505-617-0565.
• Fall Flight Festival 2011 activities continue at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge. Talk on “Flyways of the World: Migratory Bird Conservation and the Nature Conservancy” by Dave Mehlman, from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 27, at the refuge headquarters and at 1 p.m. kids wildlife crafts also at the headquarters. For more information, call Linda Kelly at 454-9452 or Jan Arrott at 454-5116.
• Holiday Pecan Sale by the Greater Las Vegas Lions Club is once again underway to raise funds to help qualified residents of San Miguel County pay for eye exams and glasses. See the full selection at Shoes ‘n Boots on Seventh Street near Mills through December. Prices begin at $3 to help the Lions help your neighbors. Call 454-8095 for dates of special one-day sales locations around town.
• The parking lot located near Marr Gym at Robertson High School is closed due to paving and finishing work. Students will be using parking on Fourth Street near the Quintana Building, south-side parking lot, Fifth Street in front of the Career Education Building, near the tennis courts and along Friedman. Contact Darlene Ulibarri at 454-5770.
• 10th Annual Las Vegas Holiday Home Tour, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 2. Tickets are $10 each and are available at CCHP, Plaza Hotel and the Las Vegas Arts Council. For more information, call 425-8803.
• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization’s 2012 Miss Las Vegas/Miss San Miguel County Scholarship Pageant at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3, at West Las Vegas High School. The pageant is a preliminary of the Miss America Pageant. Call Philip Ortiz, Executive Director, for more information at 718-5656.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. All funds raised will go to support BBBS programs for children in San Miguel and Mora counties. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.