• Las Vegas Elks Lodge is holding a Veterans Day Breakfast, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, at the lodge located at 2305 Collins Drive. All area veterans are invited and encouraged to attend. They will be served a full hot breakfast.
• A Veterans Day ceremony is being held at 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, at Veterans Park. Members of the National Guard’s 720th Transportation Company who served in Desert Storm will take part in the ceremony.
• Second annual Veterans Day ceremony by the New Mexico Highlands University Office of Alumni Affairs, 1 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 11 at the university's Centennial Tower at the southwest corner of 8th Street and University Avenue. The Alumni Office is also hosting a public reception at the Centennial Tower immediately following the ceremony.
• A low-cost vaccination clinic for pets will be held on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Nov. 11 to Nov. 13 from noon to 3 p.m.at the Building Trades Building at Luna Community College. Services offered: Rabies - $10; Parvo/Distemper - $10; Feline/Distemper - $10; Deworming - $5; Tape Deworming - $5 to $15 and Microchipping - $16. No appointment necessary. Dogs must be on a leash. Cats must be in carriers. Volunteers are also needed. To make an appointment for low-cost spay/neuter services, call 505-699-0603.
• In observance of the Veterans Day holiday San Miguel County offices will be closed on Friday, Nov. 11, and reopen on Monday, Nov. 14.
• Second Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12 at El Zocalo Gallery, 212 Plaza. In Concert from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Carl Bernstein, Marilyn Priddy, and Scott Atchley; Group Show: Personal Maps by Featured Artist: Deborah Suess - fiber arts and jewelry.
• Indoor Flea Market from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12, at the Luna Community College cafeteria. For more information, call Connie Ortiz at 425-5344.
• Brenda Ortega-Benavidez, along with Jim Terr, will sign the cd, “New Mexico Sky,” which includes Ortega Benavidez's YouTube hit song, “Las Vegas, New Mexico” at 7 p.m. on - Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Plaza Hotel. They'll sing a few songs including that one. Her video has garnered around 2,500 views on YouTube.
• MainStreet de Las Vegas Mad Hatter’s Ball starting at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12, at the Plaza Hotel Ballroom. The ball is a fundraiser for the MainStreet de Las Vegas organization. The event will begin with cocktails from 5:30 to 6 p.m., a buffet dinner from 6 to 7 p.m., followed by a live auction, Calcutta-style gambling, a parade of hats and a dance with DJ music by Tom Ward. Tickets for the formal event are $40 and available by calling Collins, the executive director of MainStreet de Las Vegas, at 425-2606 or 617-6800.
• Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Daughters of the Americas is sponsoring a bingo at 1 p.m on Sunday, Nov. 13, at the Immaculate Conception Church Religious Education Center. Tickets may be purchased at the door or from members for $5. For more information, contact Elain Marquez at 429-2689.
• St. Gertrude’s Parish in Mora Annual Funcion on Sunday, Nov. 13. It will be the 155th Anniversary of St. Gertrude’s. The celebration will begin with a Mass at 10 a.m., followed by a procession to the Mora School Elementary gym, where there will be a pot-luck dinner, dance, (with live music), mini-carnival, cake walk, silent auction, bingo and raffle. The raffle grand prize is $1,000 along with other prizes. We invite you to join us and bring your families for a fun day. Call 575-387-2336 for more information.
• Fall Flight Festival 2011 continues at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge, open self-guided wildlife drive from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Dave Parson presentation on “The Ecology and Conservation of the Gray Wolf,” noon to 1:30 p.m. and kids wildlife crafts at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the refuge. For more information call Linda Kelly at 454-9452 or Jan Arrott at 454-6115.
• Students at Sierra Vista Elementary, Legion Park Elementary, Los Niños Elementary, Early Childhood Center, Mike Mateo Sena Elementary and Memorial Middle School may be eligible to receive free tutoring under Title 1 Supplemental Educational Services part of the No Child Left Behind Act. The goals of this program are to help students succeed in school and do well on the upcoming state test, NMSBA. For more information, call the Las Vegas City Schools Bilingual/ Federal Programs office at 454-5700 ext. 111. Registration will close on Monday, Nov. 14.
• University Celebrity at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 14 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets: general admission: $10, all local students students w/valid I.D.’s: $5 and children (10 years and under): $3.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The parking lot located near Marr Gym at Robertson High School is closed for three weeks due to paving and finishing work. Students, parents and residents are advised that during this time students will be using parking on Fourth Street near the Quintana Building, south-side parking lot, Fifth Street in front of the Career Education Building, near the tennis courts and along Friedman. Contact Darlene Ulibarri at 454-5770.
• Mandatory meeting for all Los Vigiles Land Grant members at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 15, at Gilbert Martinez’s shop. For more information, call 425-2908.
• The United States Air Force Academy Band will present a free public concert by the Academy Winds at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 15, at 7:00 p.m. at Ilfeld Auditorium on the New Mexico Highlands University campus. Free tickets are available through the Las Vegas / San Miguel Chamber of Commerce – however, tickets are not required to attend this free event. For more ticket information, call the Chamber of Commerce at 425-8631.
• Tierra y Montes Soil & Water Conservation District will hold its monthly board meeting at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at the US Forest Service located at 1926 7th Street. For more information please call 425-9088.