• Search and Rescue meeting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 8, at the new State Police Headquarters across from KFUN hill (south). New members are welcome.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 8 in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Eloise’s Mother’s Day Surprise” by Lisa McClatchy. Free and open to the public.
• Senior Olympic meeting at 1 p.m. on Thursday, May 9 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. All members are encouraged to attend.
• Interpretive talk, 5:30 p.m. on Friday, May 10 at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, Located on Highway 281, east of Las Vegas. International Migratory Bird Day Talk and Walk “Diversity and ecology of plants and plant communities in NE New Mexico” with Rick McNeil, ecological consultant and part-time instructor at NMHU and LCC. Immediately following the talk, attendees will carpool to the trailhead where McNeil will lead a hike down the Gallinas Canyon Trail. Participants are asked to wear sturdy walking shoes and to bring a hat, sunscreen, walking stick, lunch and water, on this 1/2-mile rocky, and relatively steep walk with scenic views of mountain ranges and canyon rock formations. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Hikers are invited to return to the refuge for a cook-out after the hike. For more information call Jan Arrott at 454-6115.
• Tressa Jones’ post baccalaureate fine arts exhibit, until May 11 at the Ray Drew Gallery at the Donnelly Library on the NMHU campus. All are welcome. Contact Jones at 413-575-9651.
• Las Vegas Christian Academy Annual Yard Sale/Bake Sale Fundraiser, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11 at 2362 East Drive.
• Bingo sponsored by the Knights of Columbus #804, 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 12 at the Fr. George Salazar Catholic Center.
• Memorial Service for all deceased patients of the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute, 10 a.m. on Friday, May 24 at the institute cemetery C, located at 3695 Hot Springs Boulevard. Open to the public. The memorial is sponsored by the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute Patient Foundation. For more information, call Lisa M. Apodaca at 454-2680.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. Call 505-699-6624.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.