• CCHP invites anyone who would like to say good-bye to our Office Manager Magee Poler to join us for an informal going-away party from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, May 27 at CCHP, 116 Bridge St. Magee will be leaving at the end of the month to join her family in Kalispell, Mont.
• Movies In the Park, showing Splendor in the Grass, at dusk on Saturday, May 28 at Carnegie Library park (weather permitting). Popcorn, drinks, and snacks will be for sale by the Friends of the Library.
• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day. Regular business hours will resume on Tuesday, May 31.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• Tri-County Farmers Market is open from 7 a.m. until sellout on Wednesdays at 6th Street and University. Starting on June 1 the market will open on both Wednesdays and Saturdays. On June 11, there will be a kick-festival for the market.
• Court Appointed Special Advocates is recruiting volunteers to advocate for children in foster care. Training starts June 4. For more information, call 454-0223 or go to www.casafourrthnm.org.
• AAUW used book sale with all proceeds going to scholarships for NMHU women students. The sale starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 4 at the corner of 7th street and University (pink building).
• Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance is hosting a community gathering for landowners and residents of Gallinas and El Porvenir from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 5 at La Placita Fire Department, Gallinas, N.M.
• “El Tigre” Reies Lopez Tijerina returns to Las Vegas on Wednesday, June 8, 10 a.m. to noon - academic panel discussion, Ilfeld Auditorium; 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., community celebration, Plaza Park; 4:30 p.m to 6 p.m., the Peoples History of El Norte mural dedication, Old Safeway parking lot. All events free and open to the public. Sponsored by Casa de Cultura, City of Las Vegas, New Mexico Highlands University and Alianza del Norte.
• Luna Community College is offering enhanced college credit summer programs for high school students and 2011 graduating seniors. For more information, call 454-5377 or 1-800-588-7232 ext. 175. Registration is on-going through June 10.
• Join the American Cancer Society in the fight to create a world with less cancer and more birthdays by participating in Relay For Life starting at 6 p.m. on June 10 at the West Las Vegas High School football/track field. Relay For Life supports the Society’s mission to save lives by helping people stay well, by helping people get well, by finding cures and by fighting back. For more information, contact Gloria Martinez-Friestad, 505-820-3538 or email@example.com or visit: www.relayforlife.org/lasvegasnm.
• First United Methodist Church is hosting a special Pentecost service at 11 a.m. on June 12 at their church on the corner of 8th Street and National Ave. Raymond Duran and Steve Sanchez from the group Amistad will provide the music for this service. Sunday school participants will present a dance.