• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Monday, May 26, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday and will re-open on Tuesday, May 27.
• San Miguel County offices will be closed in observance of the Memorial Day and will reopen on Tuesday, May 27.
• Rio Gallinas School sixth through eighth grade students will have a Celebration of Learning from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 27 at Plaza Hotel Ballroom. Topic is immigration reform. Watch a documentary, hear speeches, and form your own opinion about what should happen with immigration reform today.
• Political Public Forum, 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 28 at the Mora Independent School Auditorium. Guests include Mora County commission candidates: John Olivas, Paula Garcia, George Trujillo, and Joseph JD Weathers. Guest moderator is Eric A. Romero. Organizer of the event is La Voz de Mora.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 28 in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Baby Loves Visiting” by Michael Lawrence. Free and open to the public.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital invites older adults to participate in National Senior Health & Fitness Day Wednesday, May 28. A free health fair will be held at from 10 a.m. to noon at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Health screenings will include blood pressure screenings, glucose screenings and cholesterol screening vouchers. For information, contact Marla Martinez at 426-3772, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• La Comunidad de El Carmen and Community Land Grand monthly meeting, 1 p.m. on Sunday, June 1 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church on El Oro Road. All community members and those interested in preserving and protecting our community land and cemetery are urged to attend. For information, contact Joe Archuleta at 505-819-9960 or Jim Coryat at 505-617-5103.
• Benefit Bingo for Nathan Archuleta to cover tuition and travel expenses with Naataanni Baseball Academy. Tournaments are in New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. The bingo takes place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 1 at the Tecolote Community Center.
• Prairie walk and Interpretive talk, 5:30 p.m. on Friday, June 6 at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, located on Highway 281, East of Las Vegas. Meet at the Gallinas Trail Parking Lot, for an easy early evening walk through the shortgrass prairie to the canyon edge. Return to the visitor center for sandwiches and veggies plus a talk, “Drought and Ecology of Southwestern Shortgrass Prairies,” with Mollie Walton, Ph.D., a restoration ecologist. Seating is limited to 40. Seats will be available on a first-come, first served basis. For more information, call Jan Arrott at 454-6115
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 15 to Aug. 17 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet, picnic, brunch and dinner. Venues are being discussed and preparations will be announced by the end of May. Updated information may be obtained by contacting, Mary Gonzales Ludi at 425-6877 or Darwin Ludi at 619-482-1691.
• The Mora High School Class of 1974 is planning its 40-year reunion in Mora on Aug. 16. Anyone who started freshman year with the class is invited. Contact the following individuals for more information and to confirm attendance, Fares at 575-387-5325, Lola at 575-643-6733, or Elaine at 575-224-9571.
, or Lucille at 575-387-5309.
or email Lu.Sandoval@outlook.com, Simonita at 575-387-5463 or Louie at 575-387-2953.
• Meadow City Zen is an open group of people sitting in silent meditation. The group will be at the First Presbyterian Fellowship Hall. For dates, information, and instruction call Jane at 454-1260. All are welcome and donations accepted.
• The Tri-county Farmers Market is continuing. You can buy fresh produce and crafts at the winter location in the Travelers’ Cafe. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday. For more information, call 426-1468.
• The Children’s Acting Workshop will meet at the Presbyterian Fellowship Hall for eight weeks to perform an original play, “Pegasus and Perseus.” Drama workshop rehearsals will take place Thursdays and Fridays after school at 3:30 p.m. for two hours. All children ages 8 to 12 (or older) are invited to participate in this special program. For more information, contact Caroline Rackley, theatre director, at 5425-6092 or 505-217-6169, or email email@example.com. Or call 505-670-2319 for information.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.