• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 9 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. All programs are free and open to the public.
• The Las Vegas Ministerial Fellowship is having Lenten services at noon on Wednesday, March 9 at the First United Methodist Church, 8th Street and National Ave. Rev. Randt Campbell will be preaching. Other 40 minute noon services will take place on March 16, 23, 30 and April 6 and 13. For more information, call 425-7283.
• Fire Art Lecture Series talk by Dr. Robert Bell at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9 at the art viewing room on the second floor of Donnelly Library. For more information, call 454-3338.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• The 17th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad will take place on Saturday, March 26 and is seeking participants who are willing to share their talent at this community event. For more information, call Sara Harris at 454-0438 to sign up. Deadline is March 10.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) is at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, March 10 at NMHU Donnelly Library, Rm. 325. Bob Wessely will address the question, "Water Troubles Right Here in Meadow City?" Las Vegas’ water situation is both similar to and very different from other cities’ water situations. Wessely currently is a member of the Las Vegas Utility Advisory Committee and vice president of the Las Vegas Community Water Board. For further information, call Emelie Olson at 454-3920.
• San Miguel Search and Rescue will not meet Wednesday, March 9, but will meet at 6 p.m. on March 16 at the Professional Home Health Care Annex, 1931 Seventh in Las Vegas.
• “The Wizard of Oz” - children’s broadway musical by American Family Theatre at 6:30 p.m. on March 15 at NMHU’s Ilfeld Auditorium. Ticket prices: General admission: $8, children (10 years and under) and NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: $5. Advance tickets on sale Feb. 28 from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday @ KEDP radio station, studio 103 on the NMHU campus for more information, contact Donna Martinez at email@example.com or 454-3238.
• Preparation for simple tax returns for low and middle income persons and seniors offered by AARP Tax Aide in association with the local Meadow City AARP Chapter and the Las Vegas Senior Citizens Center. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 16, April 4 and April 8 at the Las Vegas Senior Center at 500 Sabino St. To schedule an appointment call, 425-6261.
• The Northeast Regional Education Cooperative is sponsoring its annual Child Find Developmental Screening Fair on Wednesday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at NMHU Teacher Education Building. Developmental screenings are free to the public and focus on children between the ages of birth to six years. For more information, call the NEREC office at 426-2261.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service has announced its monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “Helluva Way To Treat A Soldier.” This special 90 minute program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 17, at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St., in Las Vegas. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025.