• Bandfest 2013, 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5 at NMHU’s Ilfield Auditorium. The event will feature Las Vegas City Schools bands, West Las Vegas School bands, NMHU and UWC-USA bands. Each group will perform music they have prepared as an individual school. Also in the program will be music to be performed as an entire ensemble, all schools combined, all together at once! Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children under 12. This is a fundraiser for all participating bands but moreso an opportunity to share the passion of performing music all together. Join us as we celebrate the month of March which is Music in the Schools Month across the nation.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, March 6 in the children’s area of the pubic library. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Free tax return preparation is available for low- and middle-income persons and seniors. The service is being offered by AARP Tax-Aide at Highlands University Student Center, 903 Baca St. You do not have to be a senior or a member of AARP to receive the help. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, through April 12. Call 505-652-4106 for an appointment. Walk-ins also welcome. Bring all your documents.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. For more information, call 505-699-6624.
• Registration for Senior Olympics has started. Pick up a registration form at the front desk of the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Contact Denise McElroy at 454-1379 or firstname.lastname@example.org.