• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 2 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. All programs are free and open to the public.
• The Western Mora Soil and Water Conservation District will hold a regular board meeting at 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 at the SWCD Building in Mora. The agenda is available at the Soil and Water Conservation Office in Mora. For more information, call Dora at 575-387-2424.
• The El Creston Mutual Domestic Water Consumers’ Association Board will meet at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 at 89 Roadrunner Road (intersection of Roadrunner Road and Coyote in Ojitos Frios Subdivision). This is a public meeting and all are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Karyl Lyne at 454-9707 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization is looking for contestants to compete in the Miss Las Vegas’ Outstanding Teen Pageant. The pageant is a preliminary of Miss America’s Outstanding Teen. The competition is open to girls ages 13-17. Phases of competition are interview, talent, exercise wear, on-stage question and formal wear. Miss Las Vegas’ Outstanding Teen will have the opportunity to compete at the state level and a chance to represent New Mexico at the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Pageant in Orlando Florida this summer. Entry forms may be picked up at the Las Vegas/San Miguel County Chamber of Commerce or at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Entry deadline is Friday March 4. For more information, call Philip Ortiz, executive director, at 718-5656.
• Sheridan Volunteer Fire Department is hosting an indoor flea market on Saturday, March 5, at the Sheridan Fire station near the Romeroville exit, south of Las Vegas. The public is invited to come and support the local volunteer fire department and fire fighters. Vendor Spaces are available for $5/space. To reserve an indoor space, call 454-1455.
• Interpretive talk at 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 6 at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, located on Highway 281, east of Las Vegas. “On the Road With Refuge Volunteers” with Erv Nichols and Sandra Noll, photographers and naturalists who share stories and photographs from their years as full time traveling refuge volunteers. Their stories encompass adventures from the Southwest to Alaska, from the Grand Canyon to Rowe Sanctuary in Nebraska. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first come first serve basis. For more information, call Linda Kelly at 454-9452 or Jan Arrott at 454-6115.
• The Las Vegas Ministerial Fellowship is having Lenten services at noon on Wednesday, March 9 at the First United Methodist Church, 8th Street and National Ave. Rev. Randt Campbell will be preaching. Other 40 minute noon services will take place on March 16, 23, 30 and April 6 and 13. For more information, call 425-7283.
• The 17th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad will take place on Saturday, March 26 and is seeking participants who are willing to share their talent at this community event. For more information, call Sara Harris at 454-0438 to sign up. Deadline is March 10.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) is at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, March 10 at NMHU Donnelly Library, Rm. 325. Bob Wessely will address the question, "Water Troubles Right Here in Meadow City?" Las Vegas’ water situation is both similar to and very different from other cities’ water situations. Wessely currently is a member of the Las Vegas Utility Advisory Committee and vice president of the Las Vegas Community Water Board. For further information, call Emelie Olson at 454-3920.
• “The Wizard of Oz” - children’s broadway musical by American Family Theatre at 6:30 p.m. on March 15 at NMHU’s Ilfeld Auditorium. Ticket prices: General admission: $8, children (10 years and under) and /NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: $5. Advance tickets on sale Feb. 28 from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday @ KEDP radio station, studio 103 on the NMHU campus for more information, contact Donna Martinez at email@example.com or 454-3238.
• Preparation for simple tax returns for low and middle income persons and seniors offered by AARP Tax Aide in association with the local Meadow City AARP Chapter and the Las Vegas Senior Citizens Center. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 16, April 4 and April 8 at the Las Vegas Senior Center at 500 Sabino Street. To schedule an appointment call, 425-6261.
• The Northeast Regional Education Cooperative is sponsoring its annual Child Find Developmental Screening Fair on Wednesday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at NMHU Teacher Education Building. Developmental screenings are free to the public and focus on children between the ages of birth to six years. Screenings will be conducted in the areas of: speech and language, cognition, fine motor, gross motor, height and weight, dental, early development (birth to 3 years), vision and Hearing and self-help. There will be fun activities for kids and lots of information for parents. This is a great opportunity for parents to make sure that their young ones are developing as they should. For more information, call the NEREC office at 426-2261.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service has announced its monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “Helluva Way To Treat A Soldier.” This special 90 minute program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 17, at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St., in Las Vegas. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025.