• San Miguel Search and Rescue will meet at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, March 16 at the Professional Home Health Care Annex, 1931 Seventh in Las Vegas.
• Preparation for simple tax returns for low and middle income persons and seniors offered by AARP Tax Aide in association with the local Meadow City AARP Chapter and the Las Vegas Senior Citizens Center. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 16, April 4 and April 8 at the Las Vegas Senior Center at 500 Sabino St. To schedule an appointment call, 425-6261.
• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 16 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. All programs are free and open to the public.
• The Las Vegas Ministerial Fellowship is having Lenten services at noon on Wednesday, March 16 and March 23, 30 and April 6 and 13 at the St. Paul’s Peace Church. For more information, call 425-7283.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service has announced its monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “Helluva Way To Treat A Soldier.” This special 90- minute program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 17, at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St., in Las Vegas. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025.
• The Northeast Regional Education Cooperative is sponsoring its annual Child Find Developmental Screening Fair on Thursday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at NMHU Teacher Education Building. Developmental screenings are free to the public and focus on children between the ages of birth to six years. For more information, call the NEREC office at 426-2261
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• “SLIDE-Ireland” — Celtic music from Ireland, at 6:30 p.m. on March 23 at NMHU’s llfeld Auditorium. Ticket prices: General admission: $10, NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: free and local band/choir students: free. Advance tickets on sale from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at KEDP radio station, studio 103 on the NMHU campus for more information, contact Donna Martinez at email@example.com or 454-3238.
• The 17th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad will take place at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 26 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Doors will open at 6 p.m. Admission is $4 with ticket sales available now from Donna Martinez, 454-3238, at the NMHU KEDP radio station across the street from Ilfeld from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Event sponsored by Community First Bank, NMHU President Jim Fries, and the NMHU School of Social Work. For more information, call 454-0438.
• A low-cost, dog and cat shot clinic will be held from noon to 3 p.m. on Friday to Sunday, March 25-27 at the West Las Vegas Middle School Gym. Rabies and Distemper shots are available for $10 per shot. Microchipping is available for $16. No appointment necessary. Also, drop off any donations of unopened cans and bags of dog and cat/puppy and kitten food for the Pet Food Pantry. Volunteers are also needed to help with this clinic. Contact 305-479-3618 to volunteer or for more information.
• 2011 Northern New Mexico Devotional Art Show is on exhibition until March 30 at the Ray Drew Gallery on the first floor of the Library on the NMHU campus. For more information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.
• El Valle Community Center in Villanueva, N.M. is hosting a Grand Opening of the Frank V. Gallegos Sr. Resource Room Open House Fair from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on April 8. More than 20 providers will be available with information about their services. Art show, Zumba Dance, massages, free meal, and open mic session will be available for your enjoyment. They are located on New Mexico State Road 3 in San Miguel County. Take I-25 exit 323 south 12 miles behind Villanueva Post Office. Physical address 11 Pueblos Rd. Villanueva, N.M. 87583. For more information or to volunteer call 575-421-0808.