• Parent Survey for Robertson High School Accreditation due on Monday, March 11. For more information, call 454-5770.
• Search and Rescue meeting, 6 p.m. on Wednesday, March 13, at the new State Police Headquarters across from KFUN Hill. The access is at the far end of the overpass (exit 245 on I-25) and turn right just past the exit ramp from I-25.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, March 13 in the children’s area of the pubic library. This week’s book is “I Want My Hat Back” by Jon Klassen. Free and open to the public.
• The Local Emergency Planning Committee’s monthly meeting will be at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, March 13, at the San Miguel County Chambers at 500 West National. Suite 200. Open to the public. For more information, contact Dennis English at 425-6190.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Free tax return preparation is available for low- and middle-income persons and seniors. The service is being offered by AARP Tax-Aide at Highlands University Student Center, 903 Baca St. You do not have to be a senior or a member of AARP to receive the help. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, through April 12. Call 505-652-4106 for an appointment. Walk-ins also welcome. Bring all your documents.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. For more information, call 505-699-6624.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.
• The Multi-Media Nature Art Show “Community Rights Above Corporate Might” is now showing through March at Estella’s Café, 148 Bridge St. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. For entries, call Jennifer at 575-937-5339 or Meredith at 426-8575.
• The Northeast Regional Education Cooperative annual Child Find Developmental Screening Fair from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 14 at NMHU Teacher Education Building. Developmental screenings are free to the public and focus on children between the ages of birth to six years. There will be fun activities for kids and lots of information for parents. For more information, contact the NEREC office at 426-2261.
• Interpretive talk, “Wildlife displacement: a case study in Kenya, Africa” with Leann Wilkins, Manager, Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge, 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 17 at Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, located on Highway 281, east of Las Vegas. A discussion of human-wildlife conflict and migration corridors of large mammals. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first come first serve basis. For more information call Jan Arrott at 454-6115.
• La Comunidad de El Carmen/ Community Land Grant monthly meeting, 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 17 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church on El Oro road. All community members, Hermanos de Nuestro Padre Jesus and interested parties are welcome.
For more information, call Max Garcia at 505-469-9914.
• The 19th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad will take place on Saturday, March 23 in Ilfeld Auditorium on the campus of NMHU. Doors open at 5:45 p.m. Event starts at 6:30 p.m. Sponsors are Community 1st Bank, NMHU President Jim Fries, and the NMHU Foundation Office. Admission is $5 with tickets availability starting March 18 across the street from Ilfeld from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call Donna Martinez at 454-3238 for ticket information or Sara at 454-0438.
• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization is sponsoring the Baby Miss and Little Miss Sweetheart Pageant on Saturday, April 13, at the West Las Vegas High School Cafeteria. The proceeds of the pageant will benefit Reneé Mondragón, who was selected to attend the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine in New York. The contest is open to little girls 1 to 6 years old. The contestants will be judged on personality in springtime casual wear and beauty in party/formal wear. Entry forms may be picked up at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center, the Chamber of Commerce or from Mondragón. Entry deadline is Wednesday, April 3.For more information call Mondragón at 505-553-9966 or Philip Ortiz at 505-718-5656.
• The Board of County Commissioners of San Miguel County announced applications for the El Valle De San Miguel Flying Diamond Scholarship are now available at the San Miguel County Human Resource Office. Applications and a copy of the scholarship guidelines may be picked up at the San Miguel County Human Resource Office located at 500 West National, Suite 202, Las Vegas. To also obtain an application and guidelines for the scholarship by logging on to San Miguel County’s Web Site at www.smcounty.net. Deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on Friday, April 26. For additional information you may call the San Miguel County Human Resource Office at 425-1557.