• City of Las Vegas Transfer Station groundbreaking ceremony, 3 p.m. on Friday, March 11, 32 Aragon Road, off Airport Road. For more information, call 454-1401 ext. 3277.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• “The Wizard of Oz” - children’s broadway musical by American Family Theatre at 6:30 p.m. on March 15 at NMHU’s Ilfeld Auditorium. Ticket prices: General admission: $8, children (10 years and under) and NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: $5. Tickets may be purchased, Monday through Friday @ KEDP radio station, studio 103 on the NMHU campus for more information, contact Donna Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 454-3238.
• San Miguel Search and Rescue will not meet Wednesday, March 9, but will meet at 6 p.m. on March 16 at the Professional Home Health Care Annex, 1931 Seventh in Las Vegas.
• Preparation for simple tax returns for low and middle income persons and seniors offered by AARP Tax Aide in association with the local Meadow City AARP Chapter and the Las Vegas Senior Citizens Center. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 16, April 4 and April 8 at the Las Vegas Senior Center at 500 Sabino St. To schedule an appointment call, 425-6261.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service has announced its monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “Helluva Way To Treat A Soldier.” This special 90 minute program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 17, at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St., in Las Vegas. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025.
• The Northeast Regional Education Cooperative is sponsoring its annual Child Find Developmental Screening Fair on Wednesday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at NMHU Teacher Education Building. Developmental screenings are free to the public and focus on children between the ages of birth to six years. For more information, call the NEREC office at 426-2261.
• “SLIDE-Ireland” — Celtic music from Ireland, at 6:30 p.m. on March 23 at NMHU’s llfeld Auditorium. Ticket prices: General admission: $10, NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: free and local band/choir students: free. Advance tickets on sale Feb. 28 from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday @ KEDP radio station, studio 103 on the NMHU campus for more information, contact Donna Martinez at email@example.com or 454-3238.
• The 17th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad will take place on Saturday, March 26 and is seeking participants who are willing to share their talent at this community event. For more information, call Sara Harris at 454-0438.
• 2011 Northern New Mexico Devotional Art Show is on exhibition until March 30 at the Ray Drew Gallery on the first floor of the Donnelly Library on the NMHU campus. For more information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.