• 10th Annual Synergy Fest, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, June 27 and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 28 at the Gene Torres Golf Course. Free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.synergyfest.com.
• Health and Safety Event, 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, June 28 at the Mora Schools parking lot. Participants include: Mora/Colfax Head Start, Mora County Ambulance Service, Safer New Mexico Now, New Mexico State Police, Mora County Fire Departments, Mora County DWI Program, Mora County Sheriff, and the Mora Valley Community Health Services. This is a free and open event. Child safety seat technicians will be available. For more information, call 800-231-6145.
• Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance is holding a volunteer work day in Gallinas Canyon, 9 a.m. on Saturday, June 28 at the Montezuma Skating Pond. Join us to learn how to construct water catchment systems for livestock and wildlife. For more information contact Ikhzaan Saleem at 505-699-0801 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Want to learn more about local artists? Perhaps you would like to learn about the process in which they gained fame and praise on a local and national level. Then join us at 11 a.m. on Saturday, June 28 at the City Museum as Duke Sundt discusses his journey as a local artist. This talk is free and open to the public and seating is limited. For more information, call 426-3205.
• Benefit Mushball Tournament for Nathan Archuleta to cover tuition and travel expenses with Naataanni Baseball Academy, Saturday, June 28 at Rodriguez Park. For more information or to join, e-mail Theresa at email@example.com
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• New Mexico Highlands University swimming pool is offering swim lessons for children 4 and older starting June 30. The lessons run Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. for two weeks for the cost of $30 for eight lessons. Registration takes place through Monday, July 10 before each session. If you have any questions, call the pool at 454-3073.
• Science Camp is for local community kids, in grades sixth through eighth, Wednesday, July 9 to Thursday, July 10. Hosted by Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at the Rio Mora National Wildlife Refuge near Watrous. Camp participants will leave Las Vegas at 8 a.m. on July 9 and will return to Las Vegas at 5 p.m. on July 10. Limited number of spots available. For more information, contact Lorraine Garcia at 505-917-2141 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 36th Annual People’s Fair will take place on Saturday, Aug. 23 at Carnegie Library Park. Vendor applications are currently available at 140 Bridge St. or online at lasvegasartscouncil.org. Deadline is Aug. 16.
• The Robertson High School Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 1 to Aug. 3 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet on Friday, banquet on Saturday, and brunch on Sunday, with optional activities centered on Las Vegas Heritage Week. Class members who have not been receiving announcements in the mail should contact Kathy (K.C.) Mason at email@example.com or 720-371-0126 or Kathy (McMurray) Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 454-1313.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 15 to Aug. 17 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet, picnic, brunch and dinner. Venues are being discussed and preparations will be announced by the end of May. Updated information may be obtained by contacting, Mary Gonzales Ludi at 425-6877 or Darwin Ludi at 619-482-1691.
• The Las Vegas Arts Council (LVAC) warmly invites all fine artists/artisans to participate in the 2014 Historic Las Vegas Studio Tour, Oct. 25 and Oct. 26. In addition to private studios, tour stops at New Mexico Highlands University and United World College Once again we will have a “La Gente” show featuring both Las Vegas residents unable to show at home and area artists who reside outside the studio tour perimeter. Deadline for entry forms and payment is Aug.15. To facilitate planning and publicity, it is requested that forms be sent in as soon as possible. Entry forms available at LVAC Gallery, 140 Bridge Street and on website at www.lasvegasartscouncil.org.
• The Mora High School Class of 1974 is planning its 40-year reunion in Mora on Aug. 16. Anyone who started freshman year with the class is invited. Contact the following individuals for more information and to confirm attendance, Fares at 575-387-5325, or Lola at 575-643-6733, or Elaine at 575-224-9571, or Lucille at 575-387-5309. or email Lu.Sandoval@outlook.com, Simonita at 575-387-5463 or Louie at 575-387-2953.
• Meadow City Zen is an open group of people sitting in silent meditation. The group will be at the First Presbyterian Fellowship Hall. For dates, information, and instruction call Jane at 454-1260. All are welcome and donations accepted.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.
• The Mora/Colfax Head Start Program is still looking for children to join in the Head Start classrooms. If interested, pick up an enrollment application at the Mora/Colfax Head Start Office in Holman or call Pauline at 387-3136, Chene at 387-3217 or Beatrice at 387-3139.