• Youth Art/Talent Show, 5 p.m. on Friday, June 22 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Ages 12 and older are invited to participate, any form of art is welcome. For more information, email BAMD.LV@gmail.com. This event is being facilitated by UNM BA/MD pre-med students assigned to Las Vegas.
• William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream performed by Clearly Confused Productions, the youth theatre wing of the Nat Gold Players. Several performances: 6:30 p.m. on Friday, June 22; 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 23 and 2 p.m. on Sunday, June 24 at the Kluge Auditorium on the campus of the United World College in Montezuma. Thirty-five children, youth and young adults, ages 1-28, are participating in the production. It is directed by Lisa Cisneros. She is assisted by Cynthia Riley. Tickets: $10 general admission; $8 senior citizens; $5 students with ID; and $3 for children 12 and younger.
• Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance will be hosting a hike to the upper stretches of the beautiful Gallinas River on Saturday, June 23. Hiking will begin from trailhead #216 at 8 a.m. Participants will hike alongside the Gallinas for three miles before going over the ridge to Burro Canyon.For additional information, call 425-5514.
• Cultural Encounters annual free event from 8 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. on Saturday, June 23 and 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. on Sunday, June 24 at Fort Union National Monument in Watrous. The event will emphasize the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War as it relates to New Mexico and Fort Union and will include speakers on topics such as military operations, impacts of the Civil War on Native Americans, effects of the “Indian Wars,” civil rights and the expanding role of women on the frontier. For more information and a complete schedule of events, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025, or visit www.nps.gov/foun.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Colcha workshop for adults, by Beatrice Maestas, 10 a.m. on Saturday, June 30, at the city museum. The workshop is limited to 10 adults and pre-registration is required for this free workshop. For more information, call Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or by email at email@example.com.
• Steven Michael Quezada Comedy Show featuring Curt Fletcher and Las Vegas native Jose “Joser” Maestas, 8 p.m. on Friday, July 6 at Ilfeld Auditorium. General admission: $20/NMHU students w/valid I.D.’s: $15. Advance tickets for all events, 454-3238 or visit KEDP radio station, studio 103.
• Earn Your Wings at Amazing Wonders Aviation Vacation Bible School, from 8:30 a.m. to noon from July 9 to July 13 at First Baptist Church on Mountain View Drive. To register, call Raychel at 426-7466 or email- firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Summer Fest 4 Christ featuring “The Thirsting” - A Catholic Christian Center concert featuring a four-piece Catholic alternative rock band from Vancouver, Wash. Sponsored by the NMHU Newman Center, starting at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, July 18 at Ilfeld. Admission: $5. Advance tickets, call 454-3238 or visit KEDP radio station studio.
• 2012 Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Santiago Fiesta, July 21 in Villanueva N.M. Schedule of Events: 8 a.m. Horse Ride - Riding Clubs Invited; 10 a.m. Fiesta Mass; 11 a.m. All Food and Game Booths Open, 11 a.m. Live Entertainment Begins; 11 a.m. Silent Auction Starts; 11 a.m. Villanueva Tapestry Tours - Every two hours; 6 p.m. Outdoor Dance Begins; 9 p.m. Fiesta Raffle Drawing. For more information, call 575-421-2548 or email email@example.com
• Wilderness Volunteers, is sponsoring a week-long project in cooperation with the Santa Fe National Forest, from July 22 to July 28. The group will backpack four miles and set up a base camp near the Rio Valdez. The work is trail maintenance including removing downed trees, improving drainage and controlling erosion.More information at www.WildernessVolunteers.org.