• A fundraiser to aid NMHU music major Daniel Torres will be held at 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 2, at the First United Presbyterian Church. Torres has been invited to attend a special guitar Master’s Class in Volterra, Italy, this summer. This class, called the Volterra Project, selects only four American students per year. Daniel was one of the four chosen. He studies guitar with Roberto Capocchi at NMHU. The concert will feature Torres, Roberto Capocchi, Andre Garcia-Nuthmann, Billie Mathews and Nicole Robinson. The group will perform guitar solos, guitar duets, and duets with voice and flute. Donations will be accepted.
• Church yard sale to raise money for missionaries supported by the Las Vegas Calvary Church congregation, will be from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 2, at Calvary Chapel behind Lowes on Seventh Street. Enter from the Elks Club on Collins. There will be housewares, furniture, toys, clothing, electronic and other items. For more information or to donate items, call Joan Lovekin at 425-9452.
• Tecolote Land Grant Board of Trustees meeting, 9:15 a.m. on Saturday, June 2 at the community center in Tecolote. For more information, call Joe Herrera at 575-427-1141.
• Elevating Community Rights Above Corporate Rights presentation by Thomas Linzey, Senior Legal Counsel for CELDF, 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 2, at Luna Community College Allied Health Lecture Hall, Nursing Building. The Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund worked with local Las Vegas citizens to: Write the first Community Rights Ordinance; and first to be passed in the Southwestern U.S. Linzey will talk about: the new law, Bill of Rights, for Las Vegas.
• Rummage and fundraiser sale, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 2 at 912 Jackson. Some items include furniture, books, yarn, plants, kitchenware, and baked goods. For more information, call 454-7980.
• Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Daughters of the Americas is sponsoring a bingo at 1 p.m. on Sunday, June 3 a the IC Religious Education Center. Tickets may be purchased at the door or from a CDA member for $5. For more information, call Elaine Marquez at 429-2689.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Donations are being sought for the Time to Bead in New Mexico Cancer Assistance and Support Yard Sale. Drop off items at the First United Methodist Church (National Avenue and Eighth Street). Donations are being accepted from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays - ask for Marie. For more information, call 505-469-0962, or email email@example.com to make other arrangements. All proceeds go to the: Cancer Foundation for New Mexico supporting New Mexicans touched by cancer. The yard sale is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 9, at the First United Methodist Church 715 National enter through side yard on Eighth Street.
• The Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie #3815 is hosting an indoor swap meet from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, June 9. Table rental available contact Sandra 429-8937 with details. 211 S. Grand, Las Vegas.
• The Children’s Workshop is offering free child development screenings. The schedule an appointment, call 426-1760 or 454-0348.
• Roadway Rehabilitation Project on I-25 from mile post 348 to 356, between Las Vegas and Watrous, began on May 29. FNF Construction Inc. will be working from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The project is scheduled for 90 days and is programmed at $6,702,916.06. Project starts at mile marker 348.5 and ends at mile marker 356.5, and the construction consist of roadway rehabilitation, mill and inlay, and miscellaneous construction. FNF Construction Inc. will have one lane closures during working hours which will lead to delays in the construction zone. Speed will be reduced to 55 mph in the construction zone for the safety of the employees. Motorists are to use caution and reduce their speed in this area. If you have questions or concerns, contact Project Manager Anthony Martinez at 454-3690, or Public Information Officer Kenny Luján at 617-5900.