• The Missoula Children’s Theatre is coming to Las Vegas from July 8 to July 13. This summer’s production is Pinocchio and MCT will need about 50 young people between the first and 12th grades to participate in the summer show. Auditions will be held at 10 a.m. on Monday, July 8 at Ilfeld Auditorium on Highlands’ campus. No preparation for audition is required. After casting and a brief lunch break, rehearsals will begin at 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thereafter, rehearsals will be from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Saturday’s rehearsals will be posted as needed. Pinocchio will be performed at 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 13 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets may be purchased at the door for $10 for adults, $5 for 12 and younger. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Highlands faculty, staff and students will be admitted free with ID. This year’s MCT residency is jointly sponsored by the Las Vegas Arts Council, Highlands University and Best Western Plus Montezuma Inn and Suites. For information contact Patrick Rucker, 454-9707 or 718-6211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Owl Hike, 6:30 p.m. dinner with the owl hike starting at 8:15 p.m. on Friday, July 12, meet at the refuge visitors center. Attendees are asked to bring a flashlight or headlamp and to wear hiking shoes. For more information, contact Debbie Pike at 425-3581 ext. 205.
• The AAUW Midsummer Used Book Sale is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 13th. There will be a huge selection of all kinds of books—paperbacks, best sellers, children’s books, inspirational works, classics—great reading and information for every possible interest. Also, used CDs, DVDs, and audiotapes will be on sale. The book sale will be held outdoors on University, at U-7, next to the building at Seventh and University. You’ll be sure to find great books at bargain prices.
• The Las Vegas Area Association of Educational Retirees special meeting, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 15, at New Mexico Highlands University Teacher Education Center room 204. AARP-NM will present important information on potential changes to Social Security and Medicare. After the presentation, LVAAER will select its delegates to the 2013 NMAER State Convention. For more information, contact Tomás at 575-421-2455.
• Las Vegas Municipal Court will be closed from Wednesday, July 17 through July 19, court will reopen Monday, July 22. Court staff will be attending a judicial conference. If you have any questions, contact municipal court at 425-9403.
• Backyard Adventures, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. from July 22 to July 26, at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish Hall on the Plaza. Price is $50 per child and includes two field trips to National Refuges. Registration is open at the City Museum and refuge. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or email@example.com. Sponsored by the City of Las Vegas Museum in partnership with the Denver Zoo Rio More Program and the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge.