• San Miguel County Offices will be open from 8 a.m. to noon and closed from 1 to 5 p.m. on Friday, July 5.
• Fourth of July Fiestas, entertainment starting at 10:15 a.m. until 11 p.m. on Friday, July 5 at Plaza Park. Fiesta Mass at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, July 5 at Our Lady of Sorrows church with a procession to follow to Plaza Park. Baile de la Reina from 8 to 11 p.m. on Friday, July 5 at El Rialto Patio Ballroom. Jerry Dean will perform from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Friday, July 5 at Plaza Park.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 2003 will have its 10-year reunion from July 5 to July 7 during the fiestas. For more information or questions, contact Francisco Sanchez at 429-4437 or Elizabeth Garcia at 505-718-9117 or email email@example.com or visit Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/122854844577556/?ref=3.
• Fourth of July Fiestas, entertainment starting at 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. on Saturday, July 6 at Plaza Park. Fiesta parade starts at 9 a.m. at Second Street and Mills Avenue and ends at Plaza Park on Saturday, July 6. Mayor and reinas introduction at 10:45 a.m. followed by the veterans program at 11 on Saturday, July 6 at Plaza Park. Las Vegas native Gonzalo will perform from 2:45 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. and Darren Cordova will perform from from 5:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. on Saturday, July 6. Watermelon eating competion starts at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 6 in front of Tapetas de Lana.
• The newly forming Las Vegas Summer Chorus conducted by Daniel Torres will be singing patriotic songs on July 6 during the Fourth of July Fiestas. Rehearsals will be from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday evenings until July 3 from in the Choral Room of the Highlands University Music building. Participation Is open to all ages and is free of charge. For more information or to reserve your place, contact Richard Lindeborg at 425-9120 or RALindeborg@q.com or Daniel Torres at 426 6788 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Board of Trustees of the Tecolote Land Grant monthly meeting, 9:15 a.m. on Saturday, July 6 at the Tecolote Community Center. For more information, contact Joe I. Herrera at 575-427-1141.
• Saturday Morning Bird Walks, 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 6, meet at the Montezuma Skating Pond and 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 20, meet at the Farmway parking lot. Sponsored by the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge and led by Will Jaremko-Wright. For more information, contact Debbie Pike at 425-3581 ext. 205.
• Fourth of July Fiestas, entertainment starting at 8:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Sunday, July 7 at Plaza Park. Presentation of Fiesta Run awards at 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Sorela will perform from 4:15 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, July 7 at the park.
• 31st Annual Fiesta Run, 7 .m. on Sunday, July 7. The 5K walk and 5K run starts at the San Miguel County Fairgrounds and the 10K starts at the United World College in Montezuma. A 1-mile children’s run will take place at 8:15 a.m. behind Plaza Hotel. The adult entry fee is $20 before June 30 and $30 after June 30 and on race day. The entry fee for children is $5 before July 1 and $10 after July 1 and on race day. For more information, visit www.lvfiestarun.com or call Joe Whiteman at 454-8221.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The Missoula Children’s Theatre is coming to Las Vegas from July 8 to July 13. This summer’s production is Pinocchio and MCT will need about 50 young people between the first and 12th grades to participate in the summer show. Auditions will be held at 10 a.m. on Monday, July 8 at Ilfeld Auditorium on Highlands’ campus. No preparation for audition is required. After casting and a brief lunch break, rehearsals will begin at 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thereafter, rehearsals will be from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Saturday’s rehearsals will be posted as needed. Pinocchio will be performed at 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 13 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets may be purchased at the door for $10 for adults, $5 for 12 and younger. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Highlands faculty, staff and students will be admitted free with ID. This year’s MCT residency is jointly sponsored by the Las Vegas Arts Council, Highlands University and Best Western Plus Montezuma Inn and Suites. For information contact Patrick Rucker, 454-9707 or 718-6211 or email@example.com.
• Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Owl Hike, 6:30 p.m. dinner with the owl hike starting at 8:15 p.m. on Friday, July 12, meet at the refuge visitors center. Attendees are asked to bring a flashlight or headlamp and to wear hiking shoes. For more information, contact Debbie Pike at 425-3581 ext. 205.
• The Las Vegas Area Association of Educational Retirees special meeting, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 15, at New Mexico Highlands University Teacher Education Center room 204. AARP-NM will present important information on potential changes to Social Security and Medicare. After the presentation, LVAAER will select its delegates to the 2013 NMAER State Convention. For more information, contact Tomás at 575-421-2455.
• Las Vegas Municipal Court will be closed from Wednesday, July 17 through July 19, court will reopen Monday, July 22. Court staff will be attending a judicial conference. If you have any questions, contact municipal court at 425-9403.
• Backyard Adventures, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. from July 22 to July 26, at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish Hall on the Plaza. Price is $50 per child and includes two field trips to National Refuges. Registration is open at the City Museum and refuge. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by the City of Las Vegas Museum in partnership with the Denver Zoo Rio More Program and the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge.
• Las Vegas Arts Council has space available for the People’s Faire that is scheduled for Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. Artists, craftspersons and food vendors are welcome. Applications available online at Las Vegas Arts Council.org or at CCHU and Arts Council Gallery on Bridge Street. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.