• Fourth of July Fiestas, Friday, July 4, 7 a.m. Fiesta Memorial Run, 9 a.m. Plaza Park opens, 9:45 a.m. Chuck Medina and the Enchanted Knights, 10:30 a.m. Honoring of the Veterans, 11:15 a.m. Antonia Apodaca y Trio Japapeño, Noon, Don Mariachi del Oeste, 1 p.m. The Blue Ventures, 3 p.m. Los Zapateados Dance Group, 5 p.m. Fiesta Mass at Immaculate Conception Church, 4 p.m. Jerry Dean, 6 p.m. Abel Lucero Band, 6:45 p.m. Claudio Baca, 7 p.m. Sangre Joven, 8 p.m. Kenny Medina y Suspiro Street dance, 7 p.m. Fiesta Queen’s Dinner and Dance with the Blue Ventures at El Rialto, and 9:30 p.m. street dance featuring Los Malcriados.
• San Miguel County offices will be closed on Friday, July 4 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. Offices will reopen on Monday, July 7.
• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Friday, July 4 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. Office will reopen on Monday, July 7.
• The city of Las Vegas Transfer Station will be closed on Friday, July 4 and Saturday, July 5. All commercial routes will be running as scheduled. For more information, call Mary at 426-3217.
• Fourth of July Fiestas, Saturday, July 5, 6 a.m. parade lineup, 8:30 a.m. Plaza Park opens, 9 a.m. Fiesta Parade, 9:30 a.m. Baile Encatado, 11 a.m. Preston Garza y Fuerza, noon Al Hurricane, 1:45 p.m. Marisol Gallegos, 2 p.m. Gonzales, 4 p.m. Carlos Medina, 4 p.m. Watermelon-eating Contest, 5 p.m. Los Campeones del Desierto, 6 p.m. El Gringo, 8 p.m. street dance with Los Latineerz, and 9:30 p.m. street dance featuring Quemoso.
• Fourth of July Fiestas, Sunday, July 6, 8:30 a.m. Plaza Park opens, 10 a.m. Mariachi Diferencia, Noon John Fernandez, 1 p.m. Agua Negra, 2 p.m. Nuestra Tierra del Encanto, 3 p.m. Sorela, 5 p.m. Amistad and 6 p.m. Fiestas close.
• Songs Patriotic, Americana and more, 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 6 at First United Methodist Church at 715 National Ave.
• Science Camp is for local community kids, in grades sixth through eighth, Wednesday, July 9 to Thursday, July 10. Hosted by Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at the Rio Mora National Wildlife Refuge near Watrous. Camp participants will leave Las Vegas at 8 a.m. on July 9 and will return to Las Vegas at 5 p.m. on July 10. Limited number of spots available. For more information, contact Lorraine Garcia at 505-917-2141 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 36th Annual People’s Fair will take place on Saturday, Aug. 23 at Carnegie Library Park. Vendor applications are currently available at 140 Bridge St. or online at lasvegasartscouncil.org. Deadline is Aug. 16.
• The Robertson High School Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 1 to Aug. 3 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet on Friday, banquet on Saturday, and brunch on Sunday, with optional activities centered on Las Vegas Heritage Week. Class members who have not been receiving announcements in the mail should contact Kathy (K.C.) Mason at email@example.com or 720-371-0126 or Kathy (McMurray) Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 454-1313.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 15 to Aug. 17 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet, picnic, brunch and dinner. Venues are being discussed and preparations will be announced by the end of May. Updated information may be obtained by contacting, Mary Gonzales Ludi at 425-6877 or Darwin Ludi at 619-482-1691.
• The Las Vegas Arts Council (LVAC) warmly invites all fine artists/artisans to participate in the 2014 Historic Las Vegas Studio Tour, Oct. 25 and Oct. 26. In addition to private studios, tour stops at New Mexico Highlands University and United World College Once again we will have a “La Gente” show featuring both Las Vegas residents unable to show at home and area artists who reside outside the studio tour perimeter. Deadline for entry forms and payment is Aug.15. To facilitate planning and publicity, it is requested that forms be sent in as soon as possible. Entry forms available at LVAC Gallery, 140 Bridge Street and on website at www.lasvegasartscouncil.org.
• The Mora High School Class of 1974 is planning its 40-year reunion in Mora on Aug. 16. Anyone who started freshman year with the class is invited. Contact the following individuals for more information and to confirm attendance, Fares at 575-387-5325, or Lola at 575-643-6733, or Elaine at 575-224-9571, or Lucille at 575-387-5309 or email Lu.Sandoval@outlook.com.
Simonita at 575-387-5463 or Louie at 575-387-2953.
• Meadow City Zen is an open group of people sitting in silent meditation. The group will be at the First Presbyterian Fellowship Hall. For dates, information, and instruction call Jane at 454-1260.