• Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally, vender booths open at noon on Friday, July 26 at Plaza Park; DJ music from noon to 6 p.m.; 4 p.m. My Old Man’s Coming Competition, Bike Parks Swap Meet from noon to 6 p.m., and the Unfinished Business Band from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Plaza Park.
• Las Vegas City Schools District summer food program is providing meals at various locations. Breakfast is served from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sierra Vista Elementary. Lunch is served from noon to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Park Monday through Friday and from 11:30 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays at Carnegie Library. The Las Vegas City School’s program ends July 26. For more information, call 454-5714.
• West Las Vegas School District’s Seamless Summer food service program has been serving breakfast and lunch at two locations. Breakfast is served from 8 to 8:45 a.m. and lunch is served from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at West Las Vegas High School until July 26. All meals are served Monday through Fridays. For more information, call 426-2530.
• Eleven-sees at the Museum: The Resurrection of the AT&SF2926, 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 27 at City of Las Vegas Museum. Mike Hartshorne, of the NM Steam Locomotive & Railroad History Society, as he discusses the rehabilitation of the ATSF 2926 locomotive. Described as the “best of the best” 4-8-4 steam engine, it had a short career running from Kansas City to San Diego. It is undergoing a complete rebuilding with the goal of operating again pulling passenger excursion trains in the southwest. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204.
• Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, July 27, Show and Shine Car Show on the New Mexico Highlands University campus; noon, Tattoo Competition at the NMHU campus, noon to 2 p.m. Split Decision Band at Plaza Park, 2 p.m. Kick Start Competition, featuring the ‘48 Replica Panhead Rally bike at Plaza Park; Bike Rodeo at 3 p.m. at the West Las Vegas School parking lot; 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Fire-n-Ride band at Plaza Park; and 5:30 p.m. announcement of the poker run winners at Plaza Park.
• Las Fiestas de Santiago y Santa Ana in Mora, 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 27 parade and from noon to midnight musical entertainment, these events take place in Mora, near the county courthouse, off state road 518, north of Las Vegas. A Cowboy Rodeo takes place a 1 p.m. on Saturday, July 27 at the American Legion in Mora, off state road 434 going towards Guadalupita.
• Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally, 10 a.m. on Sunday, July 28, Blessing of Riders and Bikes at Plaza Park; noon bike raffle for the ‘48 Panhead Replica at Plaza Park and 3 p.m. vender booths close.
• Las Fiestas de Santiago y Santa Ana in Mora, noon to midnight on Sunday, July 28, musical entertainment, near the county courthouse, off state road 518, north of Las Vegas. A Cowboy Rodeo takes place a 1 p.m. on Sunday, July 28 at the American Legion in Mora, off state road 434 going towards Guadalupita.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Luna Community College Student Orientation has been scheduled for Friday, Aug. 2. For more information, contact Janice Medrano at 454-2546 or Melissa Lopez at 454-5357.
• Las Vegas Arts Council has space available for the People’s Faire, scheduled for Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. Artists, craftspersons and food vendors are welcome. Applications available online at Las Vegas Arts Council.org or at CCHP and Arts Council Gallery on Bridge Street. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.
• The Mora/Colfax Head Start Program is accepting applications for the 2013-2014 school year. Children born before Sept. 1, 2010 are age eligible. Head Start officers services for children with disabilities and special needs, and other child development services. Applications may be picked up at the Mora/Colfax Head Start Office in Holman. For more information, contact Pauline Espinoza at 575-387-3136, Beatrice Regensberg at 575-387-3139 or Chene French at 575-387-3217.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. Call 505-699-6624.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.