• Fourth of July Fiestas, Thursday, July 3 to Sunday, July 6 at Plaza Park. Fiestas include good family fun, food, and plenty of musical entertainment. Thursday evening’s entertainment schedule starting at 5:15 p.m. includes: Mariachi Cardenal, Mariachi Paisano, Los Tropicales, Tanya Griego, Sarah Lewis, Los Charros, Camino Oscuro and Fire-N-Rain. The Fiesta Memorial Run, Fiesta Mass, Honoring of Veterans, and the Fiesta Queen’s Dinner and Dance takes place on Friday. On Saturday, the parade takes place at 9 a.m. and a watermelon-eating contest at 4 p.m.
• San Miguel County offices will be closed from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 3 and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, July 4 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. Offices will reopen on Monday, July 7.
• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Friday, July 4 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. Office will reopen on Monday, July 7.
• Science Camp is for local community kids, in grades sixth through eighth, Wednesday, July 9 to Thursday, July 10. Hosted by Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at the Rio Mora National Wildlife Refuge near Watrous. Camp participants will leave Las Vegas at 8 a.m. on July 9 and will return to Las Vegas at 5 p.m. on July 10. Limited number of spots available. For more information, contact Lorraine Garcia at 505-917-2141 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 36th Annual People’s Fair will take place on Saturday, Aug. 23 at Carnegie Library Park. Vendor applications are currently available at 140 Bridge St. or online at lasvegasartscouncil.org. Deadline is Aug. 16.
• The Robertson High School Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 1 to Aug. 3 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet on Friday, banquet on Saturday, and brunch on Sunday, with optional activities centered on Las Vegas Heritage Week. Class members who have not been receiving announcements in the mail should contact Kathy (K.C.) Mason at email@example.com or 720-371-0126 or Kathy (McMurray) Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 454-1313.
• The West Las Vegas Class of 1964 50th Class Reunion will be Aug. 15 to Aug. 17 in Las Vegas. Activities will include a meet-and-greet, picnic, brunch and dinner. Venues are being discussed and preparations will be announced by the end of May. Updated information may be obtained by contacting, Mary Gonzales Ludi at 425-6877 or Darwin Ludi at 619-482-1691.
• The Las Vegas Arts Council (LVAC) warmly invites all fine artists/artisans to participate in the 2014 Historic Las Vegas Studio Tour, Oct. 25 and Oct. 26. In addition to private studios, tour stops at New Mexico Highlands University and United World College Once again we will have a “La Gente” show featuring both Las Vegas residents unable to show at home and area artists who reside outside the studio tour perimeter. Deadline for entry forms and payment is Aug.15. To facilitate planning and publicity, it is requested that forms be sent in as soon as possible. Entry forms available at LVAC Gallery, 140 Bridge Street and on website at www.lasvegasartscouncil.org.