• Las Vegas Municipal Court will be closed Friday, July 19, court will reopen Monday, July 22. Court staff will be attending a judicial conference. If you have any questions, contact municipal court at 425-9403.
• Saturday Morning Bird Walk, 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 20, meet at the Farmway parking lot. Sponsored by the Las Vegas National Wildlife Reduge and led by Will Jaremko-Wright. For more information, contact Debbie Pike at 425-3581 ext. 205.
• Hike at the Pritzlaf Ranch, will start at 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 20 and end no later than 2 p.m. Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance is hosting this hike at the beautiful, mountainous Pritzlaf Ranch in the Sapello watershed. In this interpretive hike, there will be a discussion about the history of the ranch while catching awesome vistas of the Hermit’s Peak and the surrounding forests and wetlands. They will track birds, bugs, beavers and other wildlife. Attendees asked to bring lots of water, lunch and rain gear if necessary. A camera is also recommended. For questions with the directions, contact Christopher Torres at 505-795-1507 or by email at Chris.CCT@outlook.com.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Backyard Adventures, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. from July 22 to July 26, at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish Hall on the Plaza. Price is $50 per child and includes two field trips to National Refuges. Backyard adventures is for children between the ages of 8 to 12. Registration is open at the City Museum and refuge. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or email@example.com. The event is sponsored by the City of Las Vegas Museum in partnership with the Denver Zoo Rio More Program and the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge.
• Class reunion meeting for the Robertson Class of 1983, 6 p.m. on Wednesday, July 24 at the Robertson High School amphitheater. For more information, call 429-1497.
• Eleven-sees at the Museum: The Resurrection of the AT&SF2926, 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 27 at City of Las Vegas Museum. Mike Hartshorne, of the NM Steam Locomotive & Railroad History Society, as he discusses the rehabilitation of the ATSF 2926 locomotive. Described as the “best of the best” 4-8-4 steam engine, it had a short career running from Kansas City to San Diego. It is undergoing a complete rebuilding with the goal of operating again pulling passenger excursion trains in the southwest. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204.
• Las Vegas Arts Council has space available for the People’s Faire, scheduled for Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. Artists, craftspersons and food vendors are welcome. Applications available online at Las Vegas Arts Council.org or at CCHU and Arts Council Gallery on Bridge Street. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.
• Mora Schools summer food program, breakfast is available from 7:45 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Fridays at the Mora School Cafeteria though July 25. For more information, call 575-387-3115.
• Las Vegas City Schools District summer food program is providing meals at various locations. Breakfast is served from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sierra Vista Elementary. Lunch is served from noon to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Park Monday through Friday and from 11:30 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays at Carnegie Library. The Las Vegas City School’s program ends July 26. For more information, call 454-5714.
• West Las Vegas School District’s Seamless Summer food service program has been serving breakfast and lunch at two locations. Breakfast is served from 8 to 8:45 a.m. and lunch is served from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at West Las Vegas High School until July 27. Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at Armijo Elementary and Don Cecilio Martinez Elementary until July 24. Breakfast is served from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to noon at Valley School until July 24. All meals are served Monday through Fridays. For more information, call 426-2530.
• Luna Community College Student Orientation has been scheduled for Friday, Aug. 2. For more information, contact Janice Medrano at 454-2546 or Melissa Lopez at 454-5357.
• The Mora/Colfax Head Start Program is accepting applications for the 2013-2014 school year. Children born before Sept. 1, 2010 are age eligible. Head Start officers services for children with disabilities and special needs, and other child development services. Applications may be picked up at the Mora/Colfax Head Start Office in Holman. For more information, contact Pauline Espinoza at 575-387-3136, Beatrice Regensberg at 575-387-3139 or Chene French at 575-387-3217.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. Call 505-699-6624.